Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Brittany  (Read 8669 times)

brittanyalex

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Brittany France
Hello from Brittany
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:11:29 am »
Hello.  I live in Brittany with six cats, two ducks, sixteen hens, two cockerels and five goats.  I moved here in 2006 and my first animals were two pigs who loved lying down for their tummies to be tickled, and who are now providing me with happy, tasty pork.  My French electrician then gave me some bog standard brown hens and these have been added to by different types over the months since.  My ducks were from people who no longer wanted them, and similarly the goats.  I did also have two Ouessant ewes and a lamb and later a Ouessant ram, which I have since sold, as I found I couldn't consider eating them.  Previously, in Cornwall, I only had hens and ducks, so the larger animals have been quite a new and delightful experience.  Interesting to see that there are other Brittany dwellers on this site.  I hope everyone has a really good 2008 and look forward to being a member of this group.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:40:59 am by brittanyalex »
Alex

brittanyalex

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Brittany France
Re: Hello from Brittany
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:14:11 am »
I forgot to say that I put up a polytunnel last Autumn and am looking forward to growing lots of veggies this year.  Any hints would be very gratefully received.

Alex

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:15:34 am »
hello and welcome to the forum!  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:04:39 am »
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Hope you enjoy contributing - we're getting a very strong French contingent, as well as a few from as far afield as Canada, the US and Wales (lol). How great is the web!

Rosemary

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:09:06 am »
Welcome to the site - you will have a fab time on here, there are so many interesting members and postings.

Nice also to see another new member from France. Is the weather with you as bad as here in Normandy?

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

brittanyalex

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Brittany France
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:25:26 pm »
Hello Pigsatlesrues

Today and yesterday sunny - 10 degrees but rain last night.  The part of the hen area I have to walk on to put them away is lethally slippery with mud - roll on summer.
Alex

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:30:47 pm »
The mud here is horrendous! The pigs don't seem to mind, but it is helish to try to walk around - I take a step and no welly!  Role on spring and hopefully some dry weather!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »
Hello! where are you in Brittany? We will be moving to 56 this year but we have covered most of Brittany on our house hunting expeditions! Like you we've some previous experience of smallholding but this time we mean it!
Good luck
Liz

brittanyalex

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Brittany France
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:06 pm »
I'm about three miles out of St Nicolas du Pelem in 22.  I love the area and am so glad I live here.  I came over alone and left my children in Cornwall where my daughter had my grandson last January.  Whereabouts are you coming to?
Alex

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:54:26 pm »
We will be near Mauron (56/22 border) and we can't wait! There are so many nice areas in Brittany that it was hard to choose - in the end it's down to the house itself I guess. Did you have much renovation to do? We'll be leaving kids (and parents) behind too - but it's really not so far away is it! I am hoping this site will be very useful - my current problem is trying to remove corn kernels from their cobs in order to make flour!
Liz (with sore thumbs!)

Petunia

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:36:00 am »
Hi Lizt,
     If you are moving into Mauron this year, you will be about 15 mins. from where I live. Please get in touch if I can help with anything.

Petunia.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
hiya :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS