Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking Livestock ???  (Read 5591 times)

Callia

• Joined Apr 2009
Thinking Livestock ???
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:01:16 pm »
Hello,

I could do with some opinions please if you don't mind. I have been pestered by my OH to do something with the land at home and I just can't seem to decide what to do but I do have to admit it seems a complete waste to not be using it for something.
I have 7 acres of flat grassland/meadow with lots of clover, dandelions and vetch. It is heavy clay soil and can get quite waterlogged in the really wet weather. It has almost no shelter but obviously I could erect field shelters if required and I do have stables should I need to use them. I have owned/own various poultry, waterfowl, horses and a couple of goats so, am not a complete newbie to livestock but just can't decide !!! I love all animals and am willing to go to courses etc to make sure I know what I'm doing before I take the plunge but would like to hear pro's and con's from those that have various livestock to see what you advise.

Thankyou in advance, Debbie

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Thinking Livestock ???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »
Hi Debbie - your question seems to be one that people can't think how to answer.  It depends on so many factors, not least your personal choice and preference.
The price of good meadow hay is high so you could crop the lot, as long as it dries out for the summer.  You would need to invest in some machinery or get a contractor to do the work for you - the usual rate is he takes half the crop, no money changes hands.
How about sheep, or pigs - although pigs would waste what sounds like good permanent meadow by rooting it all up, but maybe they could have a scruffy corner which needs turning over.
Another option would be horse livery but that seems to have a certain amount of potential aggro attached to it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:50:23 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »
also sheep would be good or if its just one field cut it for hay and silage depending on growth. where abouts are you?

Callia

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »
Thank you for the replies  ;)
I am sorry to be so vague I just really don't know what way to go. I am in Kent.

I have been having the fields cut for hay for the last 12 years and we do generally get around 500-600 bales but it still seems a bit of a waste to not have some more use for it  ;D  I have always had horses up until a few years ago and don't really want to have liveries as they do make such a mess (the horses not the owners necessarily  ;D) and its really not the ideal place for hacking out, etc.
I just fancy some sort of project/hobby so ideally something which I could get into showing and breeding eventually too. I LOVE goats but we had some here many years ago and they were unbelievably noisy so although I am tempted it does put me off  ;D Pigs I think would make a real mess especially in the winter as it can get very wet here but again I do like them. Small cows like the dexters or highlands would be lovely although I know nothing about their care. It would just be nice to hear others reasons for getting the livestock they have and how difficult they have found them  ;)
After having a good read, I'm thinking maybe Llama's or Alpaca's. They seem from what I have read to be fairly straightforward with their care, are quiet and they are absolutely beautiful. Its just the prices that are the down side LOL.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:51 am »
you seen how you got to shear alpaca's? lol posts set apart and  rope and tied to posts unless they are so tame that you not need to. my dad had best in breed shetland ram few yrs ago untill he walked off and never came back (the ram not my dad) showing is fun

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:13:11 am »
We have always felt the high prices for alpacas are a bit of a scam. They are totally beautiful though and have wonderful fibre you can spin.  I think you would need to watch out for rustling, with them costing so much.

We keep rare breed sheep - in our case multi-horned Hebrideans and a few Soays.  If you want to show, they are a beautiful sheep to do that with, and the breed society is small and friendly, with twice-yearly get-togethers. Have a look at our website www.scothebs.co.uk to see what we find so special about them.
However, Hebrideans and Soays are not native to your part of the country, so you might want to find something more appropriate.  My favourite would be Norfolk Horn, which is a breckland sheep - perhaps not totally suitable as your land is wet.
The reasons for keeping rare breeds of any species of livestock is to help prevent that breed from dying out.  With changes in agriculture and climate, the special qualities of these breeds will be needed to put some hardiness and ease of lambing back into the current commercial favourites.
There are some beautiful rare breeds of cattle as well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 01:52:05 pm »
Couple of Shetland cows and a few rare breed sheep - you choose  :). Two species will help you to keep the grassland in good condition and rotationally graze. You might need winter fodder / shelter for the cows to protect the land although they are small and not hard on the ground. Shetlands are quite rare but lovely. You could hand milk some milk from them for use in the house and let them rear their calf too.

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Welshpool- Shropshire/ Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:34:07 pm »
Llamas are very low maintanance animals to keep and will graze the land really well along side other stock (in particularly sheep). A flock of sheep would do well on the ground you have described, just dont overstock it too much if it does get boggy in the winter! Perhaps like someone else mentioned a few pigs in a corner wouldnt be a bad idea either. There is so much you could do!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »
Debbie
I don't wish to offend but "methinks the lady doth protest too much" it sounds to me like you want to do something with your land that will require minimum input by yourself but will pacify OH that its been put to good use. You seem to have every exuse for not keeeping various varieties of animals or animal related activities. Think carefully about this because keeping livestock is not something you can go into half-hearted and then decide you don't like it. The majority of livestock needs checking at least daily and can be very tieing. It might be you could let your land for grazing, that way you get rent, animals to look at and somebodyelse to look after their well being and OH pacified.
I hope you decide what you want to do and wish you luck with your descision.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS