Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ADVICE PLEASE  (Read 3617 times)

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
ADVICE PLEASE
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:05:36 pm »
Hi   I am looking to buy a goat to milk and keep with my very small flock of sheep.  I would like to be able to take her for walks to eat brambles, hedging etc and am looking for advise for the best breed etc, would I be best to buy a nanny with a kid at foot, or a maiden female and put her in kid myself.

If there is a experienced goat keeper in Dorset, I would live the chance to visit and pick your brains.  All suggestions are very welcome.  Sarah

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:36:16 pm »
what would be nice is if you bought a nanny with her male kid at foot, as long as that male had been castrated & debudded, he will keep her company & if you pick a Dairy breed she will give u plenty milk. Goats dont like living on their own, they dont consider sheep their equals, nor do they consider them good company.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:29:07 am »
Sarah,     give me a call on 01647 231456 (evenings)   may be able to help.
Jane

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 04:25:34 pm »
Mays, thanks for for your advice, I will have to get 2 goats then.  I am looking to make cheese and butter eventually so might be worth thinking about 2 nanny goats so I have plenty of milk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »
ramblerskitchen, you may be surprised by how much milk one nanny can produce  :)   I ended up with a soap business becuase mine produced so much, 2 means that you can mate alternate girls every year thoug so that your milk production is there x 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »
Unfortunately you can't take them for walks anymore DEATHRA won't allow it

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 06:26:44 pm »
DEATHRA - LOL love it!! even my 9 yr old refers to them as 'bl**dy Defra!" don't know WHERE  she gets that from...ok I know they are trying to look out for us...! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »
you can with a licence...
And round your own property

though, really, with all the cars & dog **** around, I'd be loath to take mine far!
Little Blue

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »
Funny how we went through a war and well into the 60's feedig waste and swill to pigs in return for their meat(And bloody grateful we were too)and also bred the best goats in the world because we kept diversified genes in small herds,then along came DEATHRA's regs and our national herd has been almost wiped out in ten years.
as for the liscence! I like to take my goats out not have to ask permission and send off six pieces of paper before I can go out!(After all if their rules are really meant to protect Farm livestock and not just reduce it then we should  ALL be asking heir DEATHRA's permission ad be on a 3wk standing order on or return)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:59 pm »
a walking licence is a single piece of paper ... you have to tell them your route & stick to it... and carry it with you in case a policeman asks to see it!!

jj, I know you're making a point, just wanted to make it clear to those who dont know!
:)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS