Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: nettle and dock taking over  (Read 15469 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
nettle and dock taking over
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:22:16 am »
Hi does anyone have any thoughts about how to get rid of nettles and dock that are taking over the field. We could keep the sheep out for a short time while we deal with them. I am still waiting for a part for the ride-on and am trying to avoid getting the scythe out -too hot ;D ;D. No goat or loan of one and too many to dig out. I was thinking of burning them  -would this work at least for a couple of months until the part arrives  :-\and would rather not use a weed killer but if I had to resport to using one is there one that would ok for the sheep and the environment. Any thoughts most gratefully recieved.

Re: nettle and dock taking over
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:38:33 am »
Hi,

I would kill it off using Grazon 90 in the first case (can be grazed again after 2 weeks)

Then keep it down in the future by either spot-spraying or digging out.

If it's taking over then you are fighting a losing battle unless you kill it off to manageable amounts at the start.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:38:59 am »
weed wizard a way to burn them whilst under control.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
I have to say that I'm with smallholder supplies on this one I have tried various methods, you need to get a head start on the weeds or you will be fighting a losing battle and each year becomes a greater challenge. personally after finding the problem became rampant i chose to use a selective weedkiller and spot treat them. my use of weedkiller whilst high in the begining is very very low and I waste little time in dealing with the odd one that pops up its head.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:01:44 am »
Mmm, the problem with the weed wizard or other heating is that it is very expensive and we would get through a lot of butane cannisters over 2.5 acres (although some is still grass! ;D). Too much to dig and live at the moment ;D ;D so reluctantly weed killer may well be the best short-term option. Previously we could keep them down by cutting off the new shoots but the push-along lawn mower took us six hours last time

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:04:38 am »
If you dont have a sprayer ask a local farmer to blitz the whole field for you with the chemical I mentioned above, the digging and burning options are for once it is under control.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »
If you want to avoid chemicals, could you see if your local farmer would do some topping for you.  I have found annual topping really does reduce the amount to manageable levels.  You need to top when the plants are in flower and before they seed - earlier and they just work harder to flower again, later and you've all those seeds to grow into plants for next year.

(Hence the old saw about topping thistles : "Cut in June they'll come again soon, Cut in July they'll wither and die.")

Maybe one blast of chemicals now then an annual top (which, if the farmer can't help, you could do with a lawnmower if it's only once a year?) to stop them getting re-established.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »
Don't forget to leave some nettles....they are vital to sevaral butterflies as they lay their eggs on them :o
Nettles are a sign of very fertile ground......and if cut lose their sting and the sheep love em!
Docks on the otherhand are a blooming nuisance and if digging and topping does not do it often spot poisioning is good idea. Now thistles....creeping is a big problem but pulling if not too many works well. The big thistles like sow thistle etc....we let them flower for the bees and butterflies and then cut them off at the base and burn them before seeding.

remember also if you buy hay in.....beware it can come ready seeded..... >:(
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:48:40 pm »
Grazon is good, it works and is by far the easiest first year, shouldn't need to use it again. I hate chemicals and this one in particular cos both potatoes and tomatoes will turn their toes up at the slightest sniff. I needed something that would leave the grass growing, otherwise would have used glyphosphate. If you let them get really strong you can risk spraying the centre of the clump with glyphosphate(Roundup) and miss most of the grass, or so they tell me, when I use Roundup it seems to find its way through.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 03:14:06 pm »
If its bad use Glyphosate, I have clumps and use a knapsack sprayer although any spot sprayer will do. Its the nitrogen that brings them on so poo picking helps if you can. I agree with the topping advice, I use a flail on the bits I can get the tractor to but we are bordered by an old sea bank and spraying is the only way. I havnt used Grazon before but hear its good. Theres also a thing called SBK Brush Killer, a lot of the fruit men use it around here.
I do leave a few clumps for the butterflies in a wild corner thats miles from the veg beds.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Thistle and dock taking over
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »
I don't why I wrote nettles the first time, must have been too much sun and interupted nights lambing ::) I meant thistles. Nettles are about too in the field but they are not so rampent and as WS we leave them for the other wildlife. We are new to the area so asking a local farmer to help out I would not feel comfortable with as we have never met them. Also they are very busy, we asked one to sell us some straw two weeks ago and he still has not been able to deliver it. I have 'Googled' Glyphosate and Grazon, but cannot seem to find any difference between the two:-\. If we used Glyphosate any idea how long we need to keep the sheep out? It mentions dogs and children safe but then they do not tend to eat grass that have been inadvertently sprayed too.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »
glyphosphate is supposed to be nutrilized when it touches green(absorberd into the plant)
you can apply it to growing silage wait till it wilts cut ensile and imediately plough and reseed (saving a bit of time )it is also used to rippen grain(no green heads)BE AWARE IT IS A NERVE AGENT AND CAN CAUSE DEPPRESION IN HUMANS AND ILLNESS IN LATER LIFE :wave:

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 04:29:11 pm »
Shearling, spot treat and keep the sheep off it for three weeks or ring fence the treated area. Despite what Monsanto claim there is a suggestion that glyphosate stays in the soil. Some research in the States is suggesting its responsible for increased abortion rates in grazers, this is on land thats been treated for several years, I am no chemist and not organic, but I am loathe to treat with chemical year on year. I live in Fenland and the arable boys throw Roundup parties two or three times a year, its a fact that there is evidence now of some weeds becoming resistant and that worries me.
So spot weeding not a problem for me, you might have to look at re seeding if you cant solve the thistle problem. If its persistant and near a watercourse look at your neighbours nitrate run off, a bit of detective work can pay dividends!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »
I would say that Grazon 90 the best if weedkiller to be used. Kills nettles, thistles & brambles not grass with noticeable effect with 24 hours.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 08:36:15 pm »
In the past, on fields full of creeping thistle that has evaded our attempts at pulling the blighters we have successfully used this....http://www.dowagro.com/uk/products/prod/thistlex.htm but do not use if the grassland has a lot of clover or near veg etc. Its as safe as most herbicides are :-\ I only use stuff like this where all else fails.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS