Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soon to be Hebridean Crofter  (Read 4529 times)

flaffy881

• Joined Apr 2011
Soon to be Hebridean Crofter
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:30:12 pm »
Hello, we are a soon to be crofting family, and intend to use this forum for as much help and advice as possible.  look forward to speaking to you soon. :pig: :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Soon to be Hebridean Crofter
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:36:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum - I'm in Clackmannan - Central Scotland.  Which Island are you on?  Tell us more about what you have now and your plans - we are a nosey lot, you know  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave: We'll look forward to hearing more about your adventures

flaffy881

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27:10 pm »
Happy Easter!!

We will be on the Isle of Lewis very soon at the moment we live in Bedfordshire and have 6 ducks, 2 chickens, 7 rabbits,2 Guinea pigs, aviary birds, 4 dogs. We have been looking for a forever home for over 2years and have been to the Orkney's, Germany,Wales etc and then the jewel that is the Isle of Lewis and Harris waaaaaaw.

We have 4 children and really want the good life we are so fed up with the way no one even says hello anymore there is just no time!!. We want our children to grow up in a safe, clean, and well mannered environment. We went to the Isle of Harris/Lewis looking at properties for the first time last week and fell in love with the place and people. We know we where lucky with the warm weather but it really was out of this world so THANK YOU to everyone who stopped to talk to us or waved etc :).

We have placed offerers on 3 properties all with a croft we will work the croft with sheep, cows, chickens,goats and ducks etc for the meat, eggs, milk etc while also growing our own fruit and vegetables. We will also have our "pets" such as pigs, goats,cow,sheep etc etc.

We have lots to learn and will not start the croft for about a year we need to get fences and drainage sorted first but this is our dream and we know it will be hard work but we will get there!!

We are going to be on here a lot gaining information asking questions etc so thank you to anyone thats ends up helping us we are also going to join a few agricultural courses to guide us in the right direction. Any help and advice will be gladley received.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
He he - three offers eh?  What happens if they all accept  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »
Sounds fantastic. If you've not come across it already, I recommend a read of the "Life at the end of the road" blog for limitless inspiration!

Good luck!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

flaffy881

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »
Hi

Just had a look thank you  :)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:18:29 pm »

Hello, and welcome.

We're just across the Minch from you in Kinlochbervie but hail from just across the county border in Northamptonshire.

flaffy881

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »
How long have you lived there, and where do you get your livestock from?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:16:13 pm »

We've been here since 2008. Before that we were on Kintyre and the Isle of Mull.

Stock has mainly come from the east coast.

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:11:43 am »
 :wave: from Skye.
Hoping your New Home is all you dream of.
Bring your favourite "anti-Midgey" product and watch out for the wind...we all suffer terribly with it up here ;) !
SSkye
Rgds
Sskye

flaffy881

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »
We have everything crossed and crossed again, waiting for an answer on the Hebridean crofts!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »
All three of them? ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:21 am »
Welcome hope whichever one you buy is perfect for you

goff

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »
hi wishing you a ideal future could you help me in any websites or addresses etc in finding crofts for sale/rent thanxs goff

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS