Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Organic Feed  (Read 3154 times)

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
Organic Feed
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:48:25 am »
 :chook:
I want to give organic feed to my hens who are free range in a large garden.  However, my hens don't seem to like it and I worry about only giving them it so I also give them kitchen scraps which they love. The organic layers pellets look and seem like ordinary ones but have no pesticides which seems great.  Should I only give them organic till they get used to it or mix it with anything else  Any advice?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Organic Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »
I would probably mix it with the food they are used to have, especially if the other approach didn't work. When we introduced pellets our birds didn't know what to do with them, but after a few days it was no issue anymore. Just out of curiosity (just doing my own research to switch to organic feed), which brand are you using ?
Let us know how you are getting on.

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
Thanks for that. I will try adding it to the ordinary layers pellets.  I got my organic pellets from The Organic Feed Company.  Any other tips you may have would be very helpful
Cheers
Btrobe

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »
Hi
I've stuck with giving them organic feed for the last week and they now seem used it it. I suppose it's like getting children to eat up their greens. I have also given them the odd treat.
I was reading (I'm sure it was in this forum) that someone was feeding their hens only on corn and grain together with kitchen scraps. someone else asked what proportion the mix of corn to grains was and they replied.  I wish I had saved it because I would like to try this.  Does anyone elso do this and could you let me know the mixture? By the way, this forum is great and has been so helpful to me as a very new poultry keeper. I have 12 hens and a cockrell and I'm getting a few more hens next week. I'm going to follow the advice on introducing new hens at night and see how it goes.
Thanks so much

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:55:58 pm »
Hi again, You'll find it all under the topic "Starting to breed some guidance,please"

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:29:26 pm »
Thanks northfifeduckling. I've found it and I'm going to try feeding them in the old fashioned way. The Castle Farm web site is very good as well.
many thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS