Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can anyone help? 3 ex batts needing rehomed (with coop). Central Scotland.  (Read 3575 times)

jules@bogside

• Joined Jul 2009
Hi everyone,

In a nutshell, my husband and I have seperated -I've had to move and put my chicken-friendly house up for sale.

I'm now living in the middle of Stirling with a family of foxes in my garden every night. Lovely to watch but I know my girls wouldn't last long.

I've got 3 BHWT rescues which have been with me for 2 years following Rosemary's poultry keeping course. They are lovely hens - very friendly with kids and dogs but they chase cats.. They were still laying almost an egg/day last year but production is still intermittent after the winter.

I'm devasted to lose my girls but I'd rather they went elsewhere than be eaten by a fox. They have free-ranged the entire time I've had them so I would prefer them not to be put in a small run (or I could keep them relatively fox-proof here).  They come when called and although they don't much like being picked up, they will jump up on your knee - especially if you are eating toast in the garden!

I have a wooden coop (with a run for acclimatisation to new surroundings), water bell and all hen paraphenalia - louse powder, scaly leg spray, wormer, books etc and would be delighted to give these to a new owner should they want any of it. If you can't take them yourself, perhaps you know of someone who is keen to start with hens - this would mean they wouldn't have to buy anything. I can deliver hens/coop etc pretty much within a 150 mile radius of Central Scotland.
Many thanks

Julie

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
i would have room for them, i'm near kilmarnock, about an hour's drive from you.

it must be horrid to have to give them up! but even worse to see the fox get them.

i have 11 hens and a cockerel presently, and plenty of room for a few more.

i'll pm you my number. we're on the road today, traveling from berkshire home, but will be ther by this evening.
any day is fine, as there is always someone in.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
I'm in Fife as an alternative, about 45 mins east of Stirling - not got any chickens yet because I need a coop and haven't any money to buy a decent one.  I am beside a main road so they'd get a run initially but if they were happy amongst the ponies and garden and stay off the road then they'd get free range after a while.

I'd be delighted for them to chase my cats off as that was my one worry about having some, that the cats would hunt them ::)

Or if tazbabe wants the chickens but doesn't need the coop, could I scrounge that off you?  I'm able to drive to Stirling Mon 2 May first thing as I'm away this coming week, if it would go in a Disco boot, but would pay your delivery fuel otherwise to save you having to take chickens and coop in different directions for free!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Sorry to hear that, Julie.

You can rest assured these are VERY SPOILT hens - I have photos of them on the sofa  ;D

Ellie, your cats won't bother full grown hens - even our big boy wouldn't take them on.

robert waddell

we will throw our hat in the ring as well   south of falkirk  :chook: :chook: :chook: :wave:

Sandy

Sorry to hear you have to give them up, we were going to have to give ours up due to lack of £ but now they lay so many eggs I want to keep them and can find enough £ as things pick up a bit, hope things with you are as amicable as they can be, I suspect your chickens are the least of your worries!!!!  :bouquet:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Ellie, your cats won't bother full grown hens - even our big boy wouldn't take them on.

I have a working cat that will catch a rat - but I've seen the hens take a mouse off him.  I just wish they could do the same with Reynard...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CrofterCrafter

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Broxburn, West Lothian
Sounds like you have plenty of offers, but in case they don't pan out for some reason, I woud be happy to help, or even have them on a long loan. I am in Broxburn and just about to buy some hens, who will live in our completely enclosed walled back garden, about 10m x 4m, no traffic or even onlookers. I'm a farmers daughter, well used to hens and the responsibilities they entail and would give them a great home.

lewis6563

• Joined May 2010
Have sent you an email because i couldnt work out how to pm you lol. 

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
well, the girls are arriving here today.

i have offered to either rehome them or just keep them on a board basis until julie is in a position to have them back, its horrid to have to give up your pets!

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
the girls are here, have settled in with no fuss whatsoever, good girls!

i've got them in a portion of the run until they become familier with their surroundings, then they can go out to play in a day or two.

thank you julie, they are lovely girls, i'm pleased to help them and you in your need.

and thank you very much for the flowers, what a surprise!  ;D

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
an update....

all is well, the girls are beginning to integrate with the rest, the cockerel thinks they are are sex on legs........!

as of yesterday, they are exploring the garden with more confidence, walking all over the dogs (literally!) and getting themselves back to bed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
That's great to hear tb.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
the cockerel thinks they are are sex on legs........!
Fresh meat :)

What a lad!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS