Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Landrover, defender or disco?  (Read 10187 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Landrover, defender or disco?
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »
We are considering (well pretty much decided on) buying a landrover next summer.  Hubby has asked me to research pro's and con's of both the discovery and the defender. Either way, this would be a very second hand vehicle but I would want something that is good for the following-
1)school run in the ice - our drive is a 40 degree gradiant and we can't get out in winter
2)something that can seat 7 people comfortably but still have some boot room
3)good for attaching a trailor for livestock
4)least thirsty on petrol
5)least high on car insurance
6)easy for a girl with weedy arms to manouvre (ie.power steering lol)

I think that's it  :)

so was wondering if any disco/defender owners or former owners or those who've testdriven could share any tips with me please?
thank you in advance, Lisa 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Landrover, defender or disco?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:27:57 pm »
on all points the disco gets my vote and i love defenders

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:35 pm »
Either will do it. The defender will do it in more style, and the disco in more comfort (but I would say that, wouldn't I!).

You're likely to get more disco for your money, but with both models be very wary of rust if buying an older model. I found various buyers guides online when I was first looking, so do have a search.  One thing for a test drive is not only to check the steering load, but also how heavy the clutch is, as this can be an issue for some....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »
Not to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but I looked back at the 4X4 thread when we "were" going to buy one, I just love the big Landrover defender and one day I hope to get one, we spoke to someone in the know and he said, take a look at the military in places where they need a reliable car and see what they all have, I now note on news programmes and its often a Mitsubishi!!!!!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:12:25 pm »
If you've never owned a disco or defender before go out and test drive a few. You might find you don't like them. If you need seven seats you're really ruling out a 90 as though they can technically have seven they are really cramped and once all the seats are full there'll be no room to swing even a very small cat. So it's either a 110 or a disco. Performance is similar on and off road with the diesel disco being probably slightly better on fuel due to taller gearing. If you do any significant road mileage a defender can be very tiring due to the not particularly comfortable seating, the noise, and the stiffish ride when not loaded up to make the springs work properly. Discos however are very comfortable for long trips and much quieter. You'll also get more toys like electric windows etc on a disco generally speaking. The real deciding factor will be the price. You will find a much newer and better looked after discovery pound for pound compared to defenders. Even rotten old things fetch high prices. The advantage is that they are a lot easier to fix than discos due to the better access to all the bits that break or just drop off due to rust. Defenders can always be fixed however an old disco with terminal rust will not be economical to repair. I've owned several of both over many years and I'm totally hooked on landies but I will say it pays to have a bit of an aptitude for fixing things.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »

I've had a range of Landrovers over the years, too, including a v8 Discovery. Great motor - goes anywhere, like any true Landrover, and comfy seats as well.

If there's a loud klonk when changing gear it means the gearbox needs reconditioning - the final output shaft gear wears the shaft splines unless the later version has been fitted.

Haven't owned a Defender but I have had Series Landies. Very capable but much more 'spit and sawdust'.

If you expect to do any amount of road driving then go for the Disco. If it's mostly local or off-road then the Defender is king.

Petrol Discos are very cheap now due to their thirsty engines. Diesels more expensive.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:32:15 am »
I am on my second Disco and have loved both (original was a 200 and this an 02 TD5).

Don't look at the newer model Discos that look like boxes and have no spare wheel on the boot - they're almost all automatics now, very school run oriented and so electronic ridden that you need the computer to drive for you aswell as diagnose everything..

But get a diesel one, both mine have been and they're expensive to fill but a petrol one would fill twice as often and I love its smoothness on the motorways aswell as its reliability on farm tracks with potholes and the odd field gateway :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:41:29 am »
are you hooked on a landy? fine vehicles, but if you want practicality combined with comfort in an older vehicle then perhaps consider a trooper, or a pajero, or a land cruiser. they are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and you get more toys for your money, ie electric windows, better heaters etc.

i myself run a 1988 pajero, it is very much a work horse, but also my daily driver. it never lets me down.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:02 am »
Thanks for all the replies  :)  I did sort of have my mind set on a landrover but would consider anything of a similar style if it ticked all the boxes.
7 seats is essential as we have 4 children, all at an age where friends come home from school so I need to be able to fit not only the 6 of us but occasionally a couple of tiddlers too.
Hubby and I not so good at tinkering under engines so will have to put some thought into that point.
Have heard good things about pajero's before tazbabe. I need to do some more research into 4x4's that have 7 seats now.
thanks
lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:47 am »
If there's a loud klonk when changing gear it means the gearbox needs reconditioning - the final output shaft gear wears the shaft splines unless the later version has been fitted.
Not necessarily. There could be any number of other causes of clunking, worn bushes, propshaft, A-frame ball joint, diffs, halfshafts, drive members, etc, all relatively easy and cheap fixes.
Another thing about landies is that they are easy to repair and parts are cheap and readily available. Not something the japanese imitators can claim really. And please don't anyone tell me that jap vehicles never go wrong.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:31:41 am »
I have had an automatic diesel engined Toyota Landcruiser for the last 3 years and think it is very good.

I would recommend a Landcruiser Colorado with a 3 litre diesel engine, automatic gearbox and 7 seats, something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201116385126378/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/landcruiser/make/toyota/radius/1501/postcode/ip256lg/page/2/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

If you can afford a later one with the D-4D engine you will get better performance and fuel consumption but think in terms of around 30mpg, very comfortable motoring (it's not a sports car but very well insulated and easy to drive). It should be good for more than 250,000 miles if treated reasonably. The automatic gearbox is very good, easy driving, good for towing and not hard work.

None of these cars can be used like a racing car and they use more fuel than a small saloon.

Fit the car with good A/T (all terrain) tyres rather than the road use tyres most are fitted with when new. Mine has Yokohama Geolander tyres which work well both on and off road. Some of the off road tyres are noisy on tarmac and don't grip well on wet roads so avoid the cheapest brands.

Look at films of the UN operations round the world and you will see Toyota Landcruisers.

As the Australians say:

"A Land Rover will take you into the outback, but a Landcruiser will bring you back!"

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »
THanks for the link Norfolk Newby - I REALLY like that!! will show hubby when he gets home, he'll appreciate the Oz link (being of australian citizenship and only me refusing to move there has kept him in Blighty!)
Spare key, always useful in our house LOL.
Will be selling an MGF - a throwback from my days pre-farming so hopefully will have some money to go towards it but that link'smodel is in our price range. fab  :)

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »
What a can of worms you opened! Well, my two pennorth worth. I have had Series Landies for years, last was a 110. Dont touch petrol, early Discos are a waste of money, unreliable and spares are silly money and yes, I dont think they are proper Landies. Two many gizmoes. Try a surplus site for an ex military Wolf, avoid army machines, they are trashed, go for an ex air force one, it will have been on an airfield doing "light duties".
I dont touch 4x4s now, but if I were to get another it would be a Landcruiser, Shogun or Jeep. Some older Jeeps are well worth the money, spares cheap and they have only been used in north London climbing kerbs on school runs. Jeeps tend to have good diesel consumption too, something thats a joke with a Disco.  :farmer:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 01:11:30 pm »
I've just killed my Disco after numerous years of true abuse. I am now saving for another as I love them and they pull livestock trailers and my horse no problem they will pull all day but be careful as some there rear seat are not legal anymore

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »
Ive got a pajero to,1993 lwb 2.5 turbo diesel, its an amazing car i never normally keep a car over 2 years but ive now had this for 6 years and its still going strong,when we bought it it had only had 2 previous owners in japan and we were the first keepers in this country plus it had only done 30,000 mile when we got it,its brillant to tow with plus the 2 seats in the boot are forward facing and can be put up or down to suit,good in ice and snow as well,it only ever broke 3 times first 2 times were OH fault when he petrol in instead of diesel,last time was at xmas when starter motor went but got a new one off internet for £120.
It is automatic though which i know some people dont like,this was my first auto and now love it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS