Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can I dry to feed goats later  (Read 5447 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
What can I dry to feed goats later
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:51:21 am »
Hi

I am clearing patches of our field of brambles, hawthorn and roses (my arms look like I've been self harming) it seems such a shame to burn/compost/get rid of it all if I can use it to feed my goats. I have 2 Golden Guernsey kids  :goat: arriving in 2 weeks time (ooo getting all excited)

Can anyone tell me what will dry/keeps well and what won't

Hatty  :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

princesspiggy

Re: What can I dry to feed goats later
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:22:43 am »
nettles are fantastic when fed dry. we are doing exactly the same as you, got some ridiculously prickly rose hedging, so painful to handle. im hoping they will eat the lot, but still have the stalks to get rid off.  :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »
goats will eat all of those you mention, even rose stalks PP.
I guess they'll eat them dry too (never get chance here!) as mine happily eat the dead bits of bramble too.

Hatty, just dont give them too much at a time, mind their little tummies ;)  ...bet you can hardly wait!
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:33 pm »
Never tried drying any of those, but goats will generally eat them when fresh. The only thing is if they are kids they might be more sensitive to the prickles then adult goats are.

Nettles and Rosebay Willowherb are great for drying.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:42:48 pm »
I dry stuff for the goats - although  I steer clear of prickly things, usually end up with splinters.  Nettles are great for drying, and the goats love them, bay willowherb, and most grasses, wild flowers you come across on grass verges.

Really need the air to circulate, and dry it properly before storing, otherwise if its damp it goes all mouldy.  A homemade wooden tripod type of thing is great fore drying, or even hangng on a fence!  I store the dried "hay" in old feed sacks.....my two rabbits enjoy it too.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
how long to dry meadow herb? does comfry dry too ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »
I wouldn't clear it for the goats, just let them loose (within a fence obviously) in it, once they are old enough and not on milk anymore. If you are getting them as kids now, they will still be on milk, and should only have ad lib hay and some concentrate (the type you want to feed them later on), and once you reduce the bottles to two a day you could also introduce other green stuff, well after the milk feeds though. I have had tummy upsets last year when my kids went out onto grass too soon after drinking milk.... its messy and upsetting.

For drying - willowherb, nettles (July onwards), pea and bean haulms (but mine are always full of mildew by the end of the season). Fresh branches during the summer.

Just being nosy - where are your GG's coming from? Both girls?

I am getting a female GG kid too, after my second year of all male GG kiddings I need to get another female to keep my breeding going...

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »

;)  ...bet you can hardly wait!
:goat:  :love:  :goat: :love: Excited is not the half of it.  Knackered, still trying to get paddock secure and shed finished, OH been working late so been doing it on my own. They are not coming till they are weaned but are close by so I can see them every day  :love: :goat:  :love:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:05 pm »
How exciting  ;D

Note to self - must get round to drying nettles and willowherb this year!

What about meadowsweet - there's loads of it around here in the summer?

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:48 pm »

Just being nosy - where are your GG's coming from? Both girls?

I am getting a female GG kid too, after my second year of all male GG kiddings I need to get another female to keep my breeding going...

Hi Anke

They are both girls but, not full GG Mum was and had a good pedigree (unfortunately she died the day after kidding) dad is a Pygmy X GG

Hatty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS