Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags  (Read 2747 times)

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
Ear tags
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »
Hi, I am just enquiring about which ear tags to get for my boys. I have sold them and won't put the tags on untill they are ready to leave. Will they need to be small ones due to them being pygmy goats?  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Ear tags
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »
I'd say yes, small ones (for any sized goat!)
There are various choices - straight ones, buttons etc.  The most common I've seen on pygmies are the small round button ones. (but then, I dont keep pygmies!)

personally, though I totally agree with the need to identify.. I hate ear tags as they can cause so much damage to their ears. (Microchips would get my vote)  So I opt for the smallest & either white or dark - depending on the colour of the goat ;D

... The twins here were tagged when they were disbudded by the vets & so were doped up.  Best thing all round, though they were obviously done by two different people, or someone practicing, as they are done slightly differently!
Little Blue

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:04:36 pm »
Thanks. Yes microchipping would be a good idea. mine have the straight ones. My brother in law used to be a shepherd so he will be doing it for me. Not looking forward to it as they will probably squeel!!  Think I have got to contact defra for the flock number.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
You cant use yellow or black anymore....these are reserved colours.

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:44:10 am »
Oh right, ok  :)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:53:19 am »
Remember Goats are exempt from having to have EID tags, but non EID tags are harder to get hold of. I would try and get as small as you can. They are horrible things all round- but easy enough to put in at least. I need to do a round of retagging for all the ones that have come out over the winter.

::)

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS