Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 5 yr old nannie in milk  (Read 2560 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
5 yr old nannie in milk
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »
in two weeks time we are going to pick up a nannie goat in milk, as said she is 5, the question
here is how much longer can we expect her to give us milk?
we are also buying a female kid and hopefully a billy kid.
as you all know any comments and replys are app here!
 THE PEAR TREE  :goat:

Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 5 yr old nannie in milk
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »
Re nanny in milk - depends when she kidded, if just this spring she should be running for the year, ask to see any records etc from the person selling. Make sure she has CAE test before she leaves her holding, Worm her (and others if they already have been out to pasture)  in the trailer, then keep her in for a few days to make sure she gets rid of her worms BEFORE she goes onto your pasture. Also watch that she doesn't bully your other girls, supervise all of them for a while. But there will be some headbutting!

Have you got a separate house for the boy - and a companion?

The new arrivals will need a separate pen etc at the beginning at least, but  guess the new nanny will become boss pretty soon, especially if she's bringing her own kid(s) with her.

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »
we had a dry 4yr nanny that came into milk in spring and summer every year for the 4 yrs we had her, im sure she would have kept going all year round it if we fed her and milked her, she never seemed empty ever.  ::)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:48 pm »
My mother kept goats when I was a child & I remember one of them in particular - a Saanan called Pippa - who at her peak gave a gallon a day & had her last twins when she was 9 years old & milked into the next year - in fact I think she was still producing a small amount until a few weeks before she died at the age of 12.

That was a few decades ago  ::) before regulations & I'm not sure what the guidelines are now for breeding age.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:35 pm »
Langdon, not sure if you are asking how long after kidding the goat will continue to milk for, or how many years she will be able to be mlked for.

Some goats will run through and milk into the following year without kiddng again - but obviously less milk will be produced.

As to the age issue, many years ago we had a Toggenberg - nothing special to look at, but that goat gave us plenty of milk, and twins every year, and even triplets.  She must have been at least 7 when she gave eleven and three quarter pints of milk. 

Just wondering how you are going to manage all the goats on your land?  Did you not get Mille and Molly in kid?  You will obviously need to keep the male and female kids apart, as even if the female is not mature enough to breed, the male will not agree, and will be attempting to serve her - and also your other females.

Have you thought what you will do when the females are in season, because the young billy could and probably will try to get to the ladies.  If you are not around he could cause some injury in his pursuit!!

I would definitely worm the newbie, and as a precaution I do keep them apart for a few days from the rest of my goats if at all possible - not that I think they are carrying any deadly illness, but its just a precaution.

Not being negative to your plans, just putting forward my thoughts and ideas.  Best to think things through now and make plans on how to cope :)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:28:22 pm »
hi roxy,
the goat has allreasy kidded, its a few months old i guess.
at the age of 5 i just was wondering how long would she stay in milk?
after a while do you have to dry them off and get them in kid again ??? ( is there benefits for the goat in doing this? )
hope all is well

Langdon ;)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »
I had a pair of BT's a while back that I milked through for 3 years. Admittedly towards the end they were only giving a small amount each day but as they were getting on a bit, I didn't want to put them in kid again. It really depends how much milk you want.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »
So, she will come with the female kid you mentioned?  How old is the kid - if its old enough, you could wean it, otherwise it will be drinking all the milk, leaving none for Langdon!!  If she only kidded recently, she should mllk through untl next Spring - if you do not get her in kid again -  but she will need plenty of food to give lots of milk. 

What breed is she?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS