Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats/Docks/Spray?  (Read 14033 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats/Docks/Spray?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 01:26:56 pm »
Hmm, you've got me thinking now, I think I'll go back to him and maybe get another professional opinion too, many thanks wytsend. :-\
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 01:29:46 pm »
It simply isn't worth the risk !!!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 02:49:13 pm »
I mentioned this to my own vet last night when I took the cockerel in to get his foot sorted.  He said that he'd always recommend Heptavac'ing goats and that tetanus is incredibly risky in goats because of the daft things that they do sometimes (like climbing tree's and hill surfing, not to mention the things Wytsend pointed out)

Its is interesting though that a vet in one area might say not to, whilst others say do so. I only wish my 2 goats that have now died had been  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 05:02:39 pm »
Thanks both, I haven't managed to corner him yet but I'll let you know the outcome - this thread's taken a tangent hasn't it!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:31 pm »
It has!! but then if Thecoldplace is new to goats, this could be one of the most useful tangents possible I guess  :)  I think we all learn a great deal from experience, sadly my first 5 months with goats entailed 2 deaths so now every time I see scour I panic (usually without reason but its just a result from what happened)
I've spoken to Wytsend and another very well known goat breeder in depth now on the phone and in person and the worst part is knowing that my goats deaths could have been prevented by a vaccine. Its a big 'if only'.
Please do let us know goosepimple, its an interesting topic and would be good to hear from another vet too.
Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »
I am not so sure it is all that straight forward - vaccinating and no problems and not vaccinating, animals die. Most goat deaths are brought on by some kind of stress factor plus the original cause of infection, so generally healthy and unstressed goats have a much higher chance of surviving. I use Lambivac rather than Heptavac for the goats (and Heptavac for the sheep), thats after I read all the advice from the GVS.

Given the large number of people who keep their goats/sheep/dogs/cats/children unvaccinated and they live a full and long life the evidence is probably not clear cut. Also animals/people survived BEFORE vaccines became available.

I only ever got a tetanus jab when I was nearly 40 years old! (and I had been mucking round in forests/gardens/chemical laboratories etc for a while by then). But am not very good with needles, even though I can readily stick them into my animals, but not people nor have them stuck into me.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:52:56 am »
Hmm...thanks Anke. I'm going to go back to Nigel via email and ask him - I thought you would only need tetnus after the gash had occurred (as you would with humans) but I'll ask about the Lambivac thing too.  We're going to be selling our 3 goats (pygmy X - look like crossed with alpines - they're not tiny but not full size, very nice looking actually, its just that we've bought some pure registered pygmies now and don't intend finding a billy for the crosses) but if i'm selling then a purchaser would quite rightly want to make sure everything was as it should be.  Will post again once Nigel has replied.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »
re tetanus.

You have the tetanus vaccine in advance, which protects you by 'priming' your immune system to wipe out any tetanus bacteria that get into you, before they can get going.

If you haven't had the vaccine but get a dodgy cut, you have tetanus anti-toxoid, which is not a vaccine but hopefully 'mops up' any toxin the tetanus bacteria may be releasing into your system, since it's the toxin which causes lockjaw, the intercostal (breathing muscles) to paralyse etc  :o

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 10:49:19 pm »
The other thing is that with goats you might not even see the gash. It could be a tiny scratch hidden by their hair, even a thorn jabbing them in the mouth as they eat a branch that could get the infection in. The kid that I lost- nor us or the vet could even find what the wound had been.

Beth

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:53 pm »
thanks jaykay/ballingall, makes me think we should do all animals then?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »
Was emailed from the vet regarding injections / tetanus etc .... he said that clostridial diseases which include tetanus do periodically affect goats but that no clos vaccine is licensed for use in goats and immunity is much shorter lasting than in cows and sheep, that the risk of clos disease is low but that something like Lambivac - which is probably the 'lightest' vaccine could be used with 2 doses, 3-6 weeks apart with boosters 6 monthly.  Many vaccines contain 7,8 or 10 strains of clos infections many of which are not seen in goats. 
As we are going to sell these goats on anyway (they are 2 now and we don't intend doing the goatlings bit) then I think I will leave it to their new owners to figure out what they want to do. They are beautiful looking and very healthy and happy goaties so hopefully they will remain that way until their new owner considers what they think the best way forward is based on the differing threads of advice available! Many thanks all.   :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »
no clos vaccine is licensed for use in goats and immunity is much shorter lasting than in cows and sheep, that the risk of clos disease is low but that something like Lambivac - which is probably the 'lightest' vaccine could be used with 2 doses, 3-6 weeks apart with boosters 6 monthly.
that's right, most things aren't licensed for goats - and that's what we do, use the sheep ones but boost more often.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS