Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Impacted crop in old hen?  (Read 1560 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Impacted crop in old hen?
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:56:45 am »
I've never run into this problem in all my years of hen-keeping but a six year old Speckldy was looking unwell on Tuesday and off her legs on Wednesday. I syringed anti-biotics down her gullet every four hours and to keep her hydrated, warm water with Manuka honey. She seemed to perk up and was ravenously hungry when I offered her some corn but still couldn't get to her feet.
This morning I put her in a box of straw (really so that I could treat her without the rooster going for me!) and found her crop to be very enlarged and firm.
I have, obviously, searched the "net" and have found some discussion on this. One promoted feeding white maggots, another olive oil and massage, while some say cut open the crop and clear it :o :o :-\ I don't feel confident in doing that!
So, if anyone has experience of this condition and can give some advice I would be grateful. :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS