Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sonic Rat repellants  (Read 3864 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Sonic Rat repellants
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:35 am »
Noticed there was a thread about ones for moles - what about the ones for Rats - has any folks got/used these things, which one & do they work?

Just noticed this morning that the little Rolands have set-up home under the pigs manure heap  ???

I hate the thought of poisoning them & don't want any accidents with the pigs - no-ones ever told them they are suppossed to be vegetarian  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sonic Rat repellants
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:28:09 am »
Yes, I have that problem too, but with a stream running through the garden I don't think I can avoid it.  Can't poison them either in case Rio finds one half dead and eats it - yes, cats DO eat rats - everything except the guts - in front of your very eyes - in the kitchen - while you are on the phone!  So cat flap was removed! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:00:56 pm »
what about the ones for Rats - has any folks got/used these things, which one & do they work?

simple - they don't work  :&>

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:02:19 pm »
not worth the money better with an air pistol with a lazer sight rats are the most inteligent animal there is
look at the muscles you will get digging them out remember for every one you see there are 10 more happy hunting when you get your first rat we will hear you through here :wave: :wave: :wave:

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:45:20 pm »
Well i have to say i work in the pest contrul industry and take it from me these sonic gadgets do not work.The amount of jobs i go to where they have had a go with these sonic repellants( rat,mouse and mole) is beyond belief.Another way of looking at it (if) they did work all that would happen is the just move to another area and left un detected could get a good colony built up in a short period.After a while they would become deaf to the S,R,R and move back.My advice would to trap them using a mark 4 fenn trap placed in a tunnel to protect non intended species (not advisable if you have red squirrels about,or other protected wildlife) or you could get some trappa rat bait stations that house a break back rat trap.These traps will need inspecting,if anyone wants further advice on the above just drop me a message.Paul

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:54:20 pm »
A good air rifle and sight. Traps and poison. Jack Russels and time. Poisons the only option for large infestations although I take on board the reluctance. Change the poison every few months, there growing evidence of resistance. Keep baiting all year, in fact declare war on them and dont stop. They migrate like geese. I was ploughing a few years back and saw several hundred moving en masse across a dyke, a road and into a grain store.
Good luck!

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »
what you witnessed was a flitting  aften talked about and seldom seen     were the blind rats being guided by others tails (holding on)
 :wave: :wave:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:05:11 pm »
Actually, I'm going to report *some* success with the ultrasonic repellers for mice at least. Our last house was a cottage on the edge of a wood, and every autumn after the first frosts, the wood mice would move into the loft. We never had them in the house itself, but still couldn't really live with them up there due to the electric cables and fire risk etc.

Anyhow, whilst we did still catch (deaf?) mice in the traps after we installed the ultrasonics, the numbers were definitely down (say from one or two a day in September to one or two a week after installation), so they did have a limited effect over a small and well defined area.  Not sure about the rats though, or how it would work outdoors.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »
I used them in my barn up north - didn't make a blind bit of difference.  Perhaps all Aberdeenshire rats and mice are deaf?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS