Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Sheep Help Please  (Read 14044 times)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Shetland Sheep Help Please
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:16:13 pm »
Hi Folks………Well at last Ive made up me mind and decided to go for Shetland Sheep. Can anyone recommend a breeder who has mixed coloured Shetlands?. Never had sheep before so hopefully a breeder that I can nip their head a bit for advice and visit beforehand I'm located Perth/Fife borders in Scotland.

Thanks in advance ;)
Dave

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Shetland Sheep Help Please
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:19 pm »
The Shetland sheep society web page has a list of breeders and there are a few near you. We have a small flock of 1 Tup, 1 wether, 4 ewes and 6 lambs of mixed colours and you are more than welcome to come see them. We are about 12 miles north of Glasgow

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »
Hi there.  Rena Douglas is in Ceres, the Arbuckles are in Bathgate - I can give you their contact details if you wish. Both breed beautiful coloured Shetlands and are helpful and pleasant.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10:24 am »
so much choice. get a shetland sheep colour guide there are loads of diffrent ones all diffrent. we have spotty coloured shetlands. our ram that ran off last year was a mix of 4 or more colours. he was extremly colourful. excellent for spinning as you can get multi coloured wool.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:23:01 am »
Thanks very much for your reply’s. Andrew you’re little set up sounds similar to what I would like here ground permitting….. thanks for the invite to pop over and see them I may just drop you a pm when were next over your way, cheers for that.

Funny you should mention the different colours S/Paul I found a sheet on the Shetland sheep society page that Andrew mentioned, didn’t realize the choice :)!….Your Ram sounds very striking………My main goal is Lamb for the freezer but without sounding too twee a hardy breed with colour variation so also pleasing to look at.

Fleecewife the contact details would be great I really appreciate that ,were less than 30 Min's from Ceres and have family in Bathgate.. So I'm def spoilt for choice ::)

Thanks you three ;)
Dave

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:29:00 am »
in that case maybe a cross or something if your mainly after meat. they have lovely meat but not a lot.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:34:50 am »
Yeah I  thought about that S/paul have a few neighbours around here with a variety of tups so may just experiment with pure and crossing.................Having said that as long as we have enough lamb for our own needs thats fine too :)

Cheers
Dave

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:43:13 pm »
have coloured ewes and then throw anything in.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:06:06 pm »
Dave, we are between Newburgh and Cupar and have shetlands, just had 9 lambs so prob will have some for sale if you are interested?

Also have pals nearby in same situation.

and we originally got ours from Rena Douglas - not far from us.

pm me if you want to come and see them.

laura

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:38:28 pm »
I wouldn't breed shetland gimmers to a larger tup for their first time lambing, but after that they are usually fine. Just don't choose a really broad shouldered texel.... I use some shetland txl cross ewes for breeding, and they are great. Good size, good temperament (not highly strung like my sff/txl X!) and easy lambers.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:11:33 pm »
Laura.........Thanks for that Ive sent you a pm :)...........Anke thanks for your post and I can see where your coming from. I think until we are experienced enough at this end we will keep to the pure breeding of the Shetlands, we have a lot to learn...... However its informative to know just how the breed has been versatile in your breeding program and certainly in the future we will experiment, thanks for sharing that

Cheers Dave

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 10:38:48 am »
9 lambs (5 tups and 4 ewe lambs)
2 last years ewe lambs (to goto the tup this year)
5 ewes

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 01:32:08 pm »
it does make sense to breed from a smaller breed the first year as they tend to have singletons. then try a cheviot/suffolk cross. we are down to 5 ewes so will be keeping the only ewe lamb the caddy wether and the 3 boys are going to be chopped in time. we will then need to find a tup for next autumn. may just borrow one.
the shetlands have not had a problem lambing. the cheviots have.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 03:25:55 pm »
Interesting thread folks. Pauls comments are true, second year for cross due to size. Ever tried a Jacob / Shetland? An accident happened on our patch a while ago the lambs were a treat though! Well muscled and some lovely meat. The shetland keeper has not spoken to the Jacobs owner for six years, some folk aint got a sense of humour............ :sheep:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
well it can have a massive dent in there income. we are waiting to see how many coloured lambs next door has. we promised to buy any that our tup fathered. i hope its not too many as prices are high.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS