Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: last yrs potatoes suddenly growing...  (Read 4234 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
last yrs potatoes suddenly growing...
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »
not sure what to do! last year i planted potatoes in 2 segments of my 8 segment veggie patch. i thought I had dug them all up but all of a sudden I have new shoots coming up out of the ground (Proper leafy ones) I know I'm not meant to grow spuds in the same earth 2 years running so my questions are a) will these grow and be OK as they were planted in there last year and b) what shall I do if not? ie. shall i dig them out and bin them now?

thanks in advance!
Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: last yrs potatoes suddenly growing...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »
Yes.  The new shoots are just a helpful sign to show you where they are  :D  Mostly they wouldn't produce a decent crop anyway, not being properly spaced or manured or at the right depth.  It's far better just to clear the bed, throw them out and plant your new chitted seeds in a new bed.  You may find more volunteers pop up over the next few weeks, but just be heartless and haul them out. :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud: :farmer:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:38 pm »
Thank you FW - that's brilliant  :)  I want to use that patch for runner beans this year so will bung the spuds each time they appear now!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:46 am »
tattieseverywhere  ;D ;D
I dig em up and replant at the end of the potato plot. Got used to it! I still find some where I grew tatties 5 years ago  ;D :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 06:02:29 pm »
tattieseverywhere  ;D ;D

LOL love it!!  yep, they's still spring up everywhere - bonkers it is!! that'll teach me to dig more carefully this year, ironic thing was I was really upset when we ran out of our own spuds last year, looks like we actually hadn't  ::)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »
I got a better crop from my strays than I did from the nurtured ones!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:44:24 am »
That's why I'm trying bags, so I get the lot when and where I want them ;)  I still find an odd straggler from a bed last used for spuds about 4 years back :o
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:23:57 am »
mine never did well in bags and putting them into newly dug soil helps with breaking it up. I couldn't plant anything else first in our heavy soil.  :&>

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »
Self setters is what we call them, wait till you have a good bit of foliage then transplant them lifting as much earth as possible with it, should get a small crop from them and in the right place!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:04:25 pm »
Self setters is what we call them, wait till you have a good bit of foliage then transplant them lifting as much earth as possible with it, should get a small crop from them and in the right place!!
Brilliant! thank you. will start to do that tomorrow - already very leafy and I cannot believe how many there are popping up  :o

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 05:33:33 am »
not sure what to do! last year i planted potatoes in 2 segments of my 8 segment veggie patch. i thought I had dug them all up but all of a sudden I have new shoots coming up out of the ground (Proper leafy ones) I know I'm not meant to grow spuds in the same earth 2 years running so my questions are a) will these grow and be OK as they were planted in there last year and b) what shall I do if not? ie. shall i dig them out and bin them now?

thanks in advance!
Lisa
Dig them up and shift them  or dig them up and give to a friend to plant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS