Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best way to introduce new chickens...  (Read 5500 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Best way to introduce new chickens...
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:36:36 am »
We thought we were being sensible when we got 2 new chickens and kept them in a seperate coop in the orchard with the original chickens in an adjoining coop so that they could see each other and get "used" to seeing each other before the big and final move to a new coop all together.  We let them out together in the day and then they roost in their own coop at night. However the 2 new hens have been terrorised by the original gang of 4 and now avoid the 4 whenever possible but that still doesn't stop 2 or more hens at a time jumping on top of the newbies and plucking away at their feathers. Awful to watch. Now I let them out seperately to avoid the carnage.
So where do I go from here?. Have I completely ruined the chances of them all living together now that they are showing these behaviours. Was planning to move them all at night to the new coop after spraying with water and vinegar to disguise the smells but wonder what state I will find the newbies in the morning?  Or will they have to be in seperate runs for the forseeable?

ANY ADVICE WELCOME!
 fishy. :o

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Best way to introduce new chickens...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:36 am »
this will go on for a while, but will settle.

tbh, i may be wrong, but i think the longer you keep them separate the longer the process will take.

i have introduced nebies to the gang a few times, and find the best way is just to slip them in at night, and treat them all the same from the start.

i just got 2 new girls too, from a lady who was keeping them in her wee garden, but the neighbours were complaining, so she rehomed them with me.

now, these 2 have never free ranged, so i have done the separate pen within the main night enclosure thing. i'm going to leave them like that for a couple of days as i am going away, then the second i'm back i'll let them in al together, and the newbies will follow the gang and learn to free range and come home to roost at night.
but i know fine there will be squabbles, you just have to accept that this is normal for chickens. its the fowl side of their natures!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:28 pm »
Well tazbabe took your advice and they are now all in together (at night) after all sprayed with water and vinegar. Still some bullying going on with 2 or 3 attacking my sussex hybrid but when I see i go in and pick up the bullying hen and move them away from the sussex. They are still very much 2 gangs but hopefully with time will gel. ::)

Thanks for the advice.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:27:09 pm »
try taking 3 of the original 4 out of the pen for a couple of days to change the pecking order, you could alternate which of the originals u take out, just to confuse them some more.  Put them back in at night.
i have trouble watching hens batter each other aswell. last time i added new hens i put in more than were there originally, so the new gang was biggest! having a good cockerel helps alot, luckily my maran is very patient.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:33:28 pm »
I always keep a Brahma cockerel with my laying flock, all hybrids. They are so busy avoiding him that new additions are easy to add. I usually ark the newbies in the middle of the field for two days first, then let them get on with it. All birds scrap a bit, but avoiding a randy bloke twice their size seems to keep their minds focused!

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:03:33 am »
Some 2 weeks or so later they are, I beleive, starting to get to like? each other !

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:56 am »
after all sprayed with water and vinegar.

what's this about. Fishy?? :&>

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:44:57 pm »
Some 2 weeks or so later they are, I beleive, starting to get to like? each other !

yay! just like us really, sometimes we take our time warming to a new acquaintance :)
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »
after all sprayed with water and vinegar.

what's this about. Fishy?? :&>

It's a good idea (so 'they' say)  to try to make all the birds smell the same, doesn't really matter what you use, could be Chanel No 5 if you fancied!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:10:15 pm »
hmmm....sage and onion.... ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS