Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when to plant out onion and leek seedlings?  (Read 7237 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
when to plant out onion and leek seedlings?
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »
I have my onion and leeks seedlings in the greenhouse as well as in cold frames, they are getting too big for their module trays now, I wondered when should I actually plant them out?  How long do they need to harden off before they can be planted?

Thanks

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: when to plant out onion and leek seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:38 pm »
Our leek & onion seedlings are still in the grow-house (but that is more to do with the fact that they are still too small to plant-out - late sowing  ::) )

We planted-out the sets about 2 weeks ago & they're flourishing.

Seeing as the weather is so warm, I would risk planting them out now - guessing that you have kept the coldframe lids open for a few days already, this should have hardened them off as much as needed.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:47 pm »
My onions and leeks are about 1 1/2 inches tall are they to small to plant out yet?
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:14:14 am »
My sets go in as soon as they arrive, usually end of March. I wait for leeks to be at least 5 inches tall and plant out April / May. After you have dibbed the hole, pop the shoot in and water as per the tried and tested method, then I cut off the top 1 to 2 inches of the plant with scissors. I find that makes a healthier and stronger leek plant.
I dont bother with onion seed anymore, I find varieties like Fen Globe and Red Baron seem to do better as heat treated sets, plus sets get a head start over seed.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:06:42 pm »
Thanks just started to grow our own so may well ask a few more daft questions!  Have planted pots and carrots seeds and have beetroot, squash runner beans waiting to go out.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »
Good luck and ask away, seem a nice bunch of folk on here. Beware tho! Veg growing can lead to heated debates!  :farmer:

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »
will get planting them out soon, I have read that onion seeds are better as they produce a larger onion than sets.

Would a frost in the next few weeks do any harm to the onions or leeks?

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:01:30 pm »
PJ you have obviously not been on the pig page!! ;D

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:48:18 pm »
No Essex, frosts wont bother them, plant away. Seeds are fine for the show bench, but stick with sets, straight into the ground and weed and water, feed with a bit of blood, fish and bone. Fen Globe from Marshals are by far the best sets, I harvest September and they keep through until the end of May. Done them for twenty five years now and they have never let me down.

Eastling, I managed a pig unit for years, the pigs are fine, its pig keepers that I cant get on with. Too many opinions and too much jawing. Don't know why but sheep folk seem much less complicated!  :farmer:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:53:23 am »
PJ I am new to keeping pigs, we have just started with two GOS i agree that it does get a little heated at times, but everyone has an opinion that said the site does have some very experienced keepers/ gardeners who have a lot of knowledge to share.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:25:12 am »
East, we have a pig club here. Four of us take turns at care a week at a time, it works a treat for me as I dont have to talk to anybody unless theres a problem.
Maybe thats just age creeping on??????

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:10:55 pm »
Heated - wot us  ??? ;) ;D

It's passion for what we do & compassion for the welfare of our stock  ;D

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
I just like the bacon! One of the kids gives them names and cries when they are finished. I sprayed numbers on the last lot but I bet she will still cry....... :pig:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »
my leeks are out of poly tent and into the ground a week ago at about 6inches, sowed in feb. ill leave them tight in the bed for a month then plant out proper at 6inch spacing. my onion sets went in in october and are doing great guns  now. my seedlings are in tomorrow, i doubt they will beat the autumn sets tho, theyve got 8 good leaves already, might even be good for the show in summer. leeks seem to like transplanting and you get more white the deeper you plant at each move.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 07:43:13 am »
The great thing about the variety of opinion on TAS is that you can distill all the wisdom and knowledge and tailor it for your own situation.

Bestest  :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS