Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soay ewes udders advice please  (Read 2032 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
soay ewes udders advice please
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:48:50 am »
hi, I'm an impatient first time lamber with one soay having lambed twins and what looks like another three still to lamb - I am assumming this from their dropped udders - but still no more lambs.  Do older ewes who have lambed previously have dropped udders as a permanent fixture or do they just drop when they are in lamb?  Apologies for the completely newbie question. ???
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: soay ewes udders advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »
They can look 'bagged up' for a long long time before lambing. Once the milk comes in properly you will be able to express some from the teat. Do not turn the ewe to do this! Once you can express milk then the lambs should come within 48 hours.

Be patient, they will come when fully cooked!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »
thanks sfeet, that's a good tip, but I'd have to catch them first......binnoculars at the ready!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:16:47 pm »
that's a good tip, but I'd have to catch them first......binnoculars at the ready!

u make me chuckle...we use to have soays so i kno wot u mean... ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS