Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many eggs....  (Read 7493 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Too many eggs....
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »
Regarding meringues - I just break up the whites and froth up a bit, then add icing sugar until it is like dough.  Break off small balls about the size of a walnut and then microwave them for about 2 minutes (4 or 5 at a time) they rise and spread and are ready to eat in two minutes.  They keep for ages and I use them all the time with stewed fruit and cream or yogurt.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 04:52:14 pm »
I froze a load last year - thinking our hens wouldn't lay over winter.

I freeze them in muffin tins. Large ones for the whites and small ones for the yolks. You need to use paper liners. Separate the white from the yolks. Decant the yolk into a small case and the white into a large case then freeze in the trays

Once they are frozen, you need to dip the cases momentarily into hot water to loosen them off and then remove the papers (otherwise they get really stuck on). They can then be returned to the freezer in a baggie and you can take them out separately.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »
doesn't a whole frozen yolk behave oddly when thawed? I found that it looked cooked and was only ok to use in quiches and cakes if I blizzed them in a blender! :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 06:55:50 am »
Yes - I would only use them to make pastry and stuff.

I'll try an omelete this weekend and report back.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS