Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry sale Lanark  (Read 4547 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Poultry sale Lanark
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:02:13 am »
Anyone else going tomorrow?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

Re: Poultry sale Lanark
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:18 am »
Yup ! I'll be there  ;D
The cataloge isn't up yet, but there are usually pigs too  ;) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:46:32 pm »
Yes we are hoping to go in case there are some cream legbars or welsummers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
Yup ! I'll be there  ;D
The cataloge isn't up yet, but there are usually pigs too  ;) ::) ;D ;D ;D

You'll be sooo glad to see there are MICRO PIGS there Karen  ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:55:35 am »
Ha Ha - that should be interesting !  :-\
Especially as they're from people who have Kune Kune's also, wonder who'll  be bigger  ::)
I'll have to take my camera to capture these mythical beasts on film  :D :D :D :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:55:46 pm »
Oh well Karen - proof in the flesh now Kune Kunes are SMALLER than micro pigs (& much better natures & very much prettier  ;D - even someone elses  ;) )

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »
As you could probably tell, I wasn't in the slightest way enamoured with those micro's  :o ::)
And what a pong from them  :P I've never smelt that from any of my pigs - not even breeding boars  ???
It was mildly amusing, but concerning at the same time, to see them at 4 months, uncastrated, trying to hump everything in sight  ::) It's bad enough when a dog tries that, but can you imagine a fully grown one of them doing that to your leg, your dog or your granny  :o ;D
I was truelly saddend by the state of the wee KK's though - the 'apparent' (got to say that so I don't get sued ;)) worm burden and mange that they had was unbelieveable (and I'm so glad the AHO agreed ;)) the vendor wouldn't accept whatever the bid was (around £40 I think) as it wasn't enough, yet they can't spend the £15 to worm them and clear it up - disgracefull  >:(
You missed a fabulous Saddleback, pedigree, registered, in pig to another ped, reg saddleback - due 8th May, she sold for £120 ! We thought about it, but not having the trailer and with our hands quite full enough with what we've already got, decided not to bid. I spoke to the lady who had her for a wee while - really heartbreaking  :'( She was giving up keeping pigs and had all her stock at the sale, had me in tears  :(
But a good sale and a good turnout I thought.
How are the chickens settling in ?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:15:32 pm »
I just knew ... as soon as we saw them  ???
That smell - well  :-\ could it be what ever they were being fed?  I've certainly never smelt anything like it, didn't even smell like pigs  ???
Wonder what breeds they'd crossed to try & get them small?  It obviously hadn't worked  ::) & I've never seen 4-month old piglets so rampant  :-[
I don't understand how someone can take ANY animal to a sale with "apparent" parasite problems that were as obvious as those  :o - small wonder the bidding was so low, but what will happen to them now?  I do hope that the vendor follows the AHO's instructions - for the sake of the little beasties  :'(
Would have liked to have seen the Saddleback - someone's got a bargain.  Though I'm quite happy to keep to my wee Kunes - small & beautifully formed :love: (& tastey  :yum: ;) ) Sad for the lady though having to sell-up - can't imagine my life without mine  :'(
The new chickens are settled into one of the byres for now, with plenty of straw to scratch around in - under isolation for 2-weeks.  The cockeral has been named Eric (OH's brother's idea  :D ) & has already started a crowing competition with Ziggy - they'd better not start at dawn - it's been bad enough with Rupert pining through Summer's season - we're still not sleeping through the night - oh how we love our animals  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »
the bids were £5 for the micros not sold £40 for the kunes not sold   i had been informed on the day that he was expecting hundreds it was a quick reality check for the owner        i still think the stink was either there housing/bedding or fedding           having seen his set up (passing by)i would suspect his managery is only to get a house erected i will make further inquires into this
and what a loss for the saddelbacks the lady paid £250-£350 for the pigs at 8 wks old   times are hard   and unpedictable :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:43 am »
Sounds to me like someone's struggling  ???

Yep, £120 - £150 is a realistic price for a single HEALTHY, REGISTERED Kune weaner ... privately sold.  I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR PIGS TO BE KEPT AS "ONLY PIGS" HERE !!!

BUT ... very few people will take on pigs with "apparent" health issues, or uncastrated boars - unless they are Registered & of excellent confirmation.  Plus there is the cost of castrating Kunes - because of their unique anatomy "down there" (sure HH will provide better detail  ;) )

& we all know that we're unlikely to get "top whack" at a stock auction for any animal.

More folks are aware of the "micro pig" thing & avoid them like the plague - hence the difference in the bidding for weaners of similar age, size etc - even though the "micro pigs" showed no "apparent" parasitical problems.

I do think it's a shame though for the welfare & reputation of small pig breeds/cross breeds of all kinds - today there are "micro pigs" being advertised for £200 - £400 & at the same other ads with "free to good home".   :o  :(  >:(

:love: :pig: :love:

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »
I also saw the pigs at lanark! I was shocked by most of them Especially the saddleback's. I am the breeder of the sow's and was very upset by the state of them. The lady had put them in pig at about 7 months which personally is too young, the pigs where in bad condition and had been scouring obviously for quite a while as there tail/back ends where covered in a lot if dried poo!
I would have bought them myself but they had been bred from too young and god knows what else they had.
And the kune kunes and micro's - don't get me started......!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS