Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To turn out or not...  (Read 3677 times)

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
To turn out or not...
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:57:07 pm »
Not sure what to do - one of our ewes gave birth to twins this morning, in our orchard which she shares with three other ewes.  The other ewes have been out grazing in the big field all day but I need to bring them in for the night.  Shall I leave the new Mum with them or put her and the lambs in the shed overnight?  Thanks!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: To turn out or not...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32:05 pm »
Ours are out all night.  With the warm and dry weather we are having I would think they would be fine in the orchard.  What breed are they?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:53 pm »
The ewe is a mule of some sort - the ram was a beltex (think he is now a jalfrezi in Birmingham somewhere).  Thanks for the reply - I tried to entice her into the shed earlier but the two rams squirmed like mad when I tried to use them as a 'carrot' for her and she just went mad, couldn't work out where they were (despite them being in front of her) so I figured she was best left.  The other ewes, after an initial inspection, seem to be leaving her alone.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:14:30 pm »
I am not proclaiming to be the god of farming - but better out than in.  Sheep are made to be outside.

Baz

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:24 am »
same here why are you bringing adult sheep in. i can understand keeping lambs in for a couple of days it what we do. but even up here healthy lambs are out happily with there mums.

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:13:17 pm »
Thanks all - was just that people talk about turning them out and I can't turn them out if they've never been in!  Anyway, they were fine last night and look fabulous this morning so all well.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »
That's lovely to hear  :)  :sheep:

AengusOg

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »
Sometimes it helps to carry twins ahead of the ewe and put one down if she gets confused, Then take the other one on a bit, before laying it down and going back for the first. The ewe will run to each lamb as you lift the other. Some ewes don't seem to twig if a lamb isn't on the ground for her to see.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:45:55 pm »
That makes me laugh AengusOg  :D after all the effort of catching the little devils I'm not going to put one down - Hebs and Soays would be off like a shot within about 15 mins of birth, and even before that wouldn't stay put if laid on the ground.  If I put them down while she's realising I'm not the one going mehmeh, I still hang onto the slippery little eels  :sheep: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS