Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: running a caravan site on a smallholding  (Read 3664 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
running a caravan site on a smallholding
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »
hi
I am  researching the possibilities of runnning a small caravan site on our small holding,less than 5 pitches and you dont need planning permission apparently.
Do any of you  run such a site on your holdings,any views would be welcome

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: running a caravan site on a smallholding
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:29:47 pm »
I looked into this when I moved here.  I contacted the Caravan Club, they were very helpful.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 04:03:27 pm »
From the point of view of a potential customer, hardstanding areas would be good, water and electric points to plug into, and really short cropped grass, with plenty of bins.  Even a small site can get very messy with a badly behaved visitor or a heavy shower of rain.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mikethecamera

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Denbighshire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »
My Mum and Dad did this on Anglesey when they lived there. they had a garden centre and registered a CL site with the caravan and camping club. 5 caravans and (I think) 15 tents Didn't need planning etc, although all visitors should be members of the caravan and camping club.
They come and have a very informal look around your site once a year, and give you alisting in their book.
They did ok with it, they put in two showers, toilets etc, and eventually hook ups on the field. Even had people there at Christmas one year.
Good luck if you decide to go with it, just a small caution, you will never please everyone, whatever, someone will have a complaint, mum's was mainly children too noisy, but she told everyone it was a family site when they booked, so hey ho!.
Mike

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:06:35 pm »
You don't necessarily need much in the way of facilities. When I was a kid we always used to take the caravan to a CL site near Sennybridge in the Brecon Beacons. My mum had also gone there as a kid. All they had in the field was a tap and a lovely old horse called Jigsaw, it was brilliant !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS