Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disposal  (Read 6840 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Disposal
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:52:14 pm »
Hello guys,

I'm new to smallholding and had taken on 4 orphan lambs. Sadly one has died. Can you advise mf on the best way to dispose of these?

Your opinions much appreciated.

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Disposal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:57:17 pm »
You can either take the lamb to your local hunt or phone the National Fallen Stock Scheme and they will advise you of a collection service in your area.  DEFRA should also have the info of local collectors.

It should only cost you a couple of quid if the collector comes to you, but you might have to wait until they are passing by.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:11:57 pm »
Can i just say how sorry i am for you. I had just read your previous post when this one came up, you've really thrown yourself in at the deep end and i can't help feeling that someone shouldn't have sold you sick lambs. Do you have a hunt near you? they will take dead animals and incinerate them. They will also shoot and take away any animals that need to be put out of its misery. the hunt had to shoot 2 ewes and their lambs from a flock i bought 3 years ago, the vet had advised me that this was the best option. it's a big shock when you're new to it all but let me reassure you things do get better.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »
Thank you so much for the info and kind words. It is a shock, had them 24 hours only!! Should be more 'hard-nosed' but can't help feeling sad and regretful that maybe if I'd had the lamb longer I'd have been able to do more for it. We bought them from a local v commercial farmer who naturally didn't have much time for the orphans/ triplets.

Thank u again
Mx
twitter - @southscouse

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:42 pm »
I cried buckets over our first lost orphan, but, had to do the deed and phone the fallen stock.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:18 pm »
Hi,
So sorry to hear about your loss,i know how your feeling as i have lost 2 ewes and a lamb in the last 3 weeks.
If you ring the national fallen stock scheme they will help,i spoke to a lovely lady who was so helpful she didnt pressure me to join and we worked out it was cheaper for the man to collect direct rather than through the scheme.
Hope the others are doing ok.

Karen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:17 am »
Sorry to hear that you lost a lamb; it's always upsetting, no matter how many you rear for how many years.

If you do have a collector that can pick up a single dead lamb for a few pounds, all well and good - but otherwise, if the farmer you got them from is nearby, I think I would be tempted to ask him if you could pop it into his dead lamb sack - if it's the same where you are as here, he will have them taken away in sackfuls and will pay by the kilo.  (Gruesome I know, but the sad facts are that you get lambs born dead and young lambs that die.)

As a commercial farmer that sometimes sells orphans to local people who I think will be sensible and look after them ok, I would hope that your vendor will at least dispose of the carcase for you if not offer you a replacement or your money back.  Orphan lambs do not all survive, but they really should get through their first 24 hours in a new home if they were fit and well when sold.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:27 am »
Oh dear  :(  it is sad.  one of ours isn't looking too good and I know how hard it is to lose an animal, especially when you have tried so hard to keep them alive.
The collection people near here have had me on the phone sobbing before now with my goats when they've died, they are usually lovely and quite compassionate people really.
Sorry you lost this one x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:39 am »
we use the knackerman and they are really quick and professional. not expensive for lambs either. i think uv learnt the hard way but its still not nice for u, be choosy with what ur buying, especially if u have stock at home that might catch something too. but hindsight is wonderful.  :wave:

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:10:35 am »
are you registered with defra? do you have a holding number? are the lambs tagged

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:22 pm »
Very sorry you lost one so soon  :-*
The hunt or collection is the correct answer.
If you have enough land, I'd be inclined to bury it - who'd ever know and you'd be allowed to bury a pet dog.......(your lambs are pets aren't they)
Course, I didn't suggest such a thing and you can't do it too often!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »
Very sorry you lost one so soon  :-*
The hunt or collection is the correct answer.
If you have enough land, I'd be inclined to bury it - who'd ever know and you'd be allowed to bury a pet dog.......(your lambs are pets aren't they)
Course, I didn't suggest such a thing and you can't do it too often!
...but the fox could have taken it if anyone asked couldn't it? of course I didn't suggest that either but it could happen, couldn't it?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »
big bonfire if you get no help  but i never said that ok? :-\

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »
Thank you all!! I get sense and common sense and people prepared to say things how they live it!

The farmer we got them through took her back in the end. We are defra land regged with a small holding number - trying now to get my head round tagging rules!!

Thanks again!!
Mx
twitter - @southscouse

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 03:39:41 pm »
That's good, I'm glad he helped  :)

1 tag if you plan to take lamb to slaughter (ie they will live less than 1 year)  2 tags if going to live over a year (one electronic)  I think you have to tag them within 9 months?
the places you buy tags from tend to be really helpful in advising but also animal welfare will give oodles of info ( you have to sift through it all, I have wadges still from when I got my goats last spring!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS