Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when to shear?  (Read 2887 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
when to shear?
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:10:37 pm »
ok folks, when do you think is the right time to shear - guess it depends where you are in the country and the weather. Let's face it though surely these animals can regulate their temperature - if new born lambs can manage then why do we make so much fuss.

Personally I like to get it done ASAP to reduce the risk of strike.

Opinions?

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: when to shear?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:20:59 am »
I have started already, depends on the sheep more than anything but they can stand the cold better than the heat.

If they are a breed that are prone to Flystrike then they are better done from now until early may to reduce the risk.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Philip  :sheep:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:03 am »
we cant do it too early in NE Scotland and up till last year I had to wait til the wool had properly risen as I was shearing by hand.

Am trying electric clippers for the first time this year so will prob try earlier as a couple have suffered with strike. More importantly, I will be using Clik to try to stop any strike before I can get to them. Planning on late May/early June, about a month earlier than last year. Word is May is going to be wet tho, so that will influence dates.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:10 am »
I'd like to get mine done in May. Coloured Ryelands do seem to suffer in the warm - between the size of the fleece and being dark  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:43:31 am »
copy your neighbours! different areas have different times, but u need to wait until the new fleece (slightly diff colour) has grown enough for u to get under the old fleece...but before the hat/flies come out!

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:45:27 am »
lachlanandmarcus...whereabouts are u in nescotland? wer nr peterhead.  :wave:
wer may/june here too  :sheep:

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »
It is better to get them done rather than wait, it's better to be too early rather than too late.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS