Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding tiny triplet advice please  (Read 2647 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Feeding tiny triplet advice please
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:36:09 am »
one of our shetland ewes had triplets last night.  All healthy.  2 huge tups lambs and one teeny tiny ewe lamb.  This ewe has had triplets before and fed them all fine, but they were all similar in size last time so had equal shares at the teats Ithink.

I'm not convinced this tiny wee thing, though halthy enough after her first night, will do so well when they go back out to the field in the next couple of days, so I am going to top her up with lamlac.

How often and how much?  (plan to not feed during the night as mum can do her share then and I'll just top up during the day).

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Feeding tiny triplet advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:54:51 am »
I would watch the little one with mum and start by giving her 150mls every 2-4 hours during the day and monitor it from there. You may find that she feeds fine and you only have to top up for a few days whilst she gets used to the rush at the milk bar with 2 brothers.
I find the weeny ones normally do best and have a good fighting spirit once they get going

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
fab thanks, and yes, dont want to be doing it for ages, just till she gets into the swing of things so your advice fits perfectly.

:)

AengusOg

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:26 am »
I'd be inclined to intubate her rather than bottle feed. That way she won't lose the desire to sook the ewe.

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »
I hate tubes, I don't think they help beyond the first colustrum, the lamb will be slow to learn to suck and may never be encouraged to do so. Well that's my opinion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS