Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Jeans  (Read 2640 times)

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
Old Jeans
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:16 am »
Hello!

I have two pairs of old jeans and as usual they have started to go at the top of the inner thigh, my jeans always seem to end up leaving me due to 'death-by-thighs'!
I don;t want to throw them away but wondered if anyone could tell me the best way to patch them up.

They are perfectly fine in every other way and they only need to be good enough for farm work.

Many thanks,

McR

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Old Jeans
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:15 am »
Me too!  Me too!  Me too!  (And several times more!)

I've been thinking about applying jodhpur-style patches but haven't really got a clue about the best way (or even a way) to go about it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:07:15 pm »
Well here's hoping someone on here does!
I have some jeans that I haven't been able to crowbar myself into for a long time and thought about using them as patches?

McR
 :)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:53:11 am »
Mine have just gone in the same place :o

I'm not a sewing kind of person but when I was a student (ahem) years ago we used to patch jeans and patch patches until there was little original jean left - this time I saw iron on patches and thought that would be fab but someone told me they come off in the washer at the first attempt and I do prefer clean jeans these days ::)

As far as I remember, there were patches inside leaving visible loose threads on the outside, and/or patches on the outside that clearly didn't match - it was a matter of personal preference/style at the time.. ;D

I did wonder if I could simply get the seam restitched but sadly my thighs aren't any thinner so taking a new seam line would make them unwearable anyway ???

Gah, I'm in traggies meantime which is ok for gardening/ponies but not so useful for going anywhere I might be seen :o
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:13 am »
I've had this problem for as long as I can remember and this is what I do

Keep 1 pair of jeans for making patches
Cut squares/rectangles big enough to cover completely the hole and leave enough to make a small hem all round
Hem the patch and then pin it onto the jeans...sew by machine (by hand never works) and there you have it..mine last for years, I just replace the patches when they wear through

just to add...when you sew the patch onto the jeans it's best to use a zig zag stitch. I use a big stitch close sewn (if you see what I mean)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:49:48 am by Skirza »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:57:41 am »
Just a thought but if you keep and old pair for patches cut off the legs for patches and make the top into a handbag. Sew on some sparklies and buttons and you have a high trend bag.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS