Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloat or rattle belly?  (Read 4196 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
bloat or rattle belly?
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:18:53 am »
we have a nearly 3 week old bottle lamb with uncertain history (ie. if he had colostrum).  He starts each day OK, knocking back a bottle (not a large one for reasons I will explain..) but as the day goes on he seems to swell out. by bedtime he's lost all appetite and looks like he's not long for this world, only to repeat whole thing next day...

Have tried to give him smaller feeds but more often than the others so he's not filling out too much, bottom has been kept clean but he does get tarry looking scour stains occasionally. he's not interested in his creep but does potter about.

wondering what it could be and if I need to make sure his feed is kept colder or warmer for his benefit (his mouth doesn't feel cold by the way although we had shivers a few days ago and I put a pink jumper on him to warm him up) 

wasn't sure whether to try the ginger bloat remedy as if its not bloat will it stress or harm him more?
sorry lots of daft questions for this time of the morning!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: bloat or rattle belly?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »
Ours are limited now to the amount of grass they have as they kept on becoming rotund by early evening.  One thing we have started doing is putting the gnger in the milk - not too sure how it tastes but they still knock it back!!!  I read somewhere that bloat really affects bottle fd lambs because their rumen doesn't develop as well as those who are with their mothers (I'm sure a more expereinced shepherd will be along in a moment to correct!).  Rub his tummy, sit him on your lap and pick him up - for some reason it helped get the farts out of snowdrop which helped him out no end!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »
Thank you  :)  must admit he does look like he needs a few good farts!! today has been better for him, almost like the sunshine has helped?!
hopefully over the worst but did get a bit worried, thank you
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
Also, putting them out first thing in the morning is really bad for them, apparrently - something about wet grass not being too good?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »
Wonder if that is why grandpa used to say that animals would come good when the grass was warmed by the sun ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:15 pm »
Wonder if that is why grandpa used to say that animals would come good when the grass was warmed by the sun ???
Well it seems to be the case for Shaun. he's so much better this afternoon and I'm sure its the sunshine. Have followed all the advice (and EllisR you have been fab these past few days with your support too thank you xxx) and he's following me round the garden like a well trained dog bless him. seems stretching his legs a bit has helped shift his wind - might try it with hubby now.
 :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:03 am »
He's a different sheep now!! thanks so much for support and advice on this one.

have cuddled lots in order to shift some farts  ::)  have taken him for lots of little walks round garden.  he's a normal shape now and no longer looks like a puffa fish - yay!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS