Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pre lambing worming question  (Read 3049 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
pre lambing worming question
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:06 am »
Hi guys,

Anyone got any ideas here. One of my Ewes has got mucus in her dung. Its a little bit pinky (blood stained). Both the two ewes are due to lamb in ten days time...but are due for worming.

The question is should I worm them now, or will the wormer cause harm to them or their unborn lambs? The wormer i have is Combinex. They were last wormed in December. If they get wormed they would then be on dirty ground untill the lambs are born, then i would have moved them through to fresh ground with the others who were wormed after lambing. Do i worm the two again after lambing if they stay on the dirty ground for the next two weeks or so?
thanks for any ideas
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: pre lambing worming question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:23:10 pm »
I M O you should  worm when moving to the clean ground ,i think youd already worked this out .

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:02 pm »
hi Shep thanks for answering
Sorry, my question was rather hurriedly written this morning and probably a bit muddled.... So to recap.....she has mucus in her dung which i would take to be evidence of a gastritis or inflamation of the digestive tract. As they are due to be wormed i would imagine this is possibly due to worms.

I know that normally one should worm and then move to fresh ground....and i had planned to do this after lambing (ten days time) when i move the two ewes from the lambing paddock (dirty-ish) to the back field (clean).  But, I was wondering if in this instance -

1. I may be wise to worm now, and possibly worm again after lambing in a couple of weeks time, before the ewes join the rest of the flock in the clean field.

2. Or, just worm them now and put them in with the post lambed ewes on the clean field and then bring them back to lambing paddock just a few days before lambing.

3. just leave her and do them as normal after lambing.

My concerns are, that the wormer may affect the unborn lambs. Conversely if i leave her, she may continue to strip the mucus from her digective tract and end up with more serious problems. I do have long acting anti-Bs which i could, if required, give her to cover for any secondary gastritis or digestive infections.
This ewe is very couthy (ex pet) and not fazed by handling so the extra stress issue of handling/worming/moving when heavily pregnant is not an issue.

i hope that this time i have made my query a bit clearer!   ;D ;D ;D
Emma T

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »
HI i stand by my answer ,mucus in the dung is not un common, ewes have a very great tollerance for worms unlike lambs , since you dont say very loose dung then all sounds ok . Remember combinex is two products for fluke and worms and repeating the dose so quickly would not be advisable

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »
Ok thanks- thats great reassurance ref the mucus!  ;D
will sit back and wait for the happy event before taking action.
cheers Emma T  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS