Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhode Island Reds  (Read 3721 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Rhode Island Reds
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:00:00 pm »
I'm having a bu**er of a time trying to find vaccinated point-of-lay Rhodies in the mid-Wales area.

Anybody any suggestions?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Rhode Island Reds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »
Good luck with the search. I'm in South Wales and tried to find some last year. You may need to travel a bit to get some, all the places that had them around here seemed to be in Carmarthen.

I eventually got a hen and cockerel at 12 weeks old from someone (found out purely by accident) that had hatched some RIR eggs they bought.

They are lovely cheeky birds, I hope to try and hatch some eggs from them in the summer.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:38:29 pm »
Suz  :wave:

have you tried www.poultry.allotment.org.uk & doing a search? I know when we lived in South Wales there were plenty of POL about, but very few that had been innoculated.

Good luck  :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:12 am »
Thanks Beewyched

Good site. have left a msg at a place just down the road from us!!

Susanna

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 10:37:08 am »
iff youre after roads make sure they are pure and not got eney think else as they will not last as long or lay as well .

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:41:01 pm »
There's a smallholders show is on at Builth Wells showground on the 21 and 22nd May, there's usually a poultry auction on the Sunday.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 07:55:17 pm »
We've tried lots of different breeds of hen and I think our Rhodies are probably the best looking, hardy, healthy hens - we just have 2 left now but they've been great.  Good luck in your search (but if they're so hardy do you really need vaccinated).   :)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:39 am »
Well - we sell our eggs so I am keen that they are vaccinated so there is no risk of Salmoella.

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
Well - we sell our eggs so I am keen that they are vaccinated so there is no risk of Salmoella.

now that could be a new thread topic!    ;D ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:56:38 pm »
Oh - is it controversial? or am I talking out of my hat Princess Piggy??

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »
no. not at all. the first hybrid chooks we bought were vaccinated. we must have had 200 since and never vaccinated any. when i mentioned it to the vet he said (i think, cos it was a while ago) they come in 1000 doses per pack so wev never vaccinated.
next year we are going to sell eggs to the public so its interesting to discuss vaccinating these layers to cover our own backs.
a new thread ...to vaccinate or not to vaccinate...that is the question    ;D ;D ;D :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS