Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 3214 times)

Maria1970

• Joined Apr 2011
Hello all.
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »
Hi,
I am 40 years old and having just completed 23 years in the Royal Navy, I am looking forward to a bit of a lifestyle change and am starting out with a very likeminded friend. We have a dream of one day opening a fresh produce shop where we can sell our own produce as well as local produce to give our villagers the opportunity to eat well hopefully at a price they can afford.
I am looking forward to reading the forum articles on here the tales of other smallholders.

Cheers Maria :sheep: :pig: :chook: ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40:59 pm »
Hiya & welcome Maria from West Scotland  :wave:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:15 am »
 Hope you are enjoying your new life.  Wonderful idea but remember people are very supermarket oriented these days. 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:53:49 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:54:14 am »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave: Hope you've got your land legs. Where are you based?

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:10 am »
Morning from Clackmannan  :wave: welcome to your new life, good to have a change  :wave:

Maria1970

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:26 pm »
Hi Hilary's Mum,

Thanks for the response, i know people are very supermarket orientated these days, I am hoping that if I can convince just some of the people in this large village to use us instead then I will be making a difference.
I can never beat the supermarkets but I can have a good go at matching some of there prices and improving on the quality (maybe)

Maria

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:47:00 pm »
Many people are fed up with the hold the supermarkets have on them and are only too keen to buy fresh,local produce.This is what we are doing and we've had a lovely response from the locals.
Best of luck to you in your new venture!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »
hi and welcome to this forum, from central scotland :wave: :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:58 am »
If you market your product to suit your target clientelle, then you should be able to command a better price than supermarkets.  I know they now sell designer clothes and better quality stuff, but go for people who really want a decent product.  HFW and Jimmy's farm have done well out of it.  Why shouldnt you.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »
Hi Maria

welcome from WOrcestershire  :wave:  The local farm shop to us is very popular and the lady who runs it has made up a huge sign showing the price difference of her produce compared to tesco but also added the extra pence for petrol to it. There's not a huge difference really and even today when I popped in to pay for my veggie box, her car park was heaving! I'd like to think its because she stocks my soap lol but i think her homemade cakes and jams also help  ;)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 10:30:54 am »
Hi there and Welcome Ashore  :wave: 

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »
Hi welcome from Kent  :wave:

Good luck with your new venture
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »
Hi Maria.  Best of luck - where are you, I'd come and buy from you!  (Hate supermarkets if I can possibly avoid them.  I have a veg box at the mo, which is great but of course you don't choose what you'll have so I do buy other veg and fruit to top up.)

In fact, seeing the support in our area for farmers' markets, I do think local produce is sought after, and shops stocking their own and locally produced things should do well.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS