Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb struggling...  (Read 5117 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Lamb struggling...
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »
Hello all,

I'm v new to smallholding. We took delivery of 4 lambs yesterday, all girls. Despite one having had a broken leg set in plaster and another suffering a mouth absess (been told to leave it alone???) 3 out of the 4 are well, happy and hungry.

The 4th though is tiny, was told it's about 2-3 weeks. Found in a field in the dawn, pouring rain, mum nowhere. She's so weak she can barely stand though the vet reckons she's got as good a chance as any. Barely drinks milk, drinks water, nibbles grass and barley - v little.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd be really grateful. She's currently attempting to be bottle fed mornings and afternoons.

Thanks everyone
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Lamb struggling...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Mel.  I hope someone will come along soon to help you. I don't have sheep but my gut reaction would be to bottle feed little and often - as often as every couple of hours not just twice a day.  I would do that with a weak puppy, so I'm only guessing about sheep
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »
Yes - same here. I'm not an expert but the main thing for any small beast is food and warmth.

I've read on this forum that the sleeve of an old jumper will holes cut in the appropriate places is good as are the little lamb mac thingies.

Warm milk little and often - but you will get advice as to the detail on this

If the vet's checked her over and doesn't see any problems other than nurture then that's a good start I guess.

There'll be loads of good advice on this forum.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »
Hi there and welcome, Newbie too, but... have a look at the my old thread 'won't suckle from mum and only from bottle with resistance' I think you might find the advice I got helpful, or if not who you might want to ask directly. :wave: Also have you tried searching other threads? I found several that gave me a heads up if not the total answer. I had a Major panic with our first born lamb and found that everyone is so generous with their help - a fantastic forum.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »
You must buy  or borrow a stomach tube at 2-3wks old milk is the food she needs ,she is not a ruminent yet so grass /barley will not give her sustinance. shes drinking water to stop dehydration. Keep going with the bottle but top her up with the tube.feed little and often maybe 5or6 times a day till she gets stonger . hope this helps

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »
if i was u id be feeding it lamblac every 2 hrs for next few days until its taking a good feed and u can leave it 4 hrly, but im sure someone will advise u further. if she is nibbling at grass etc she is probly trying to suck it? u need to get the milk into her asap.
we had a lamb with a broken leg once presumably when its mum stood on it, had cast on for 2 weeks (i think) then was fine.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
Hi again. Although I have to say again our lamb was younger but... we found he did not pick up until warm and cosy - my jumper arm and a rain mac. Also combined with tube feed - it seemed drastic and he was none too chuffed about it, but we think this combo made him turn a positve courner . Made him know I think what a full tummy meant. We also found kick start helped. He also tries to eat grass/hay - coppying those around him. Good luck and fingers crossed for you and the little one. :sheep:

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:28 pm »
Thank you all so much. My neighbour has taken her in for the night as they have an aga and it's lovely and warm. Going to fit her with a jumper sleeve too if she lasts the night. Now giving her warm feeds but if anything, she's more lifeless than before. Can't lift her head up now let alone stand up. V sad and hope night feeding and warmth helps her.

Ive learned so much from your replies thank you. These little ewes are my breeding stock/pets if u like to get my 4 year old involved in everything. Fingers crossed my mini flock of 4 stay 4!!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »
Hi, I've got one had him since Saturday, he is finally starting to suck, he has been taking about 3/4 litre a day by holding the bottle in his mouth and letting him swallow, a slow process every 2 hours, except 11 to 6. Tonight he took about 1/4 litre at one go and is walking about and stretching more like a real lamb. If this continues he may go in the big pen tomorrow and be down to five feeds a day or even 4 if he keeps up the 1/4 litre trick. He eats hay and drinks water but was not used to much milk.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »
Ah shes just passed away :-(
twitter - @southscouse

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:04 pm »
So sorry to read that, maybe she hadnt had enough colostrum in the first place? 

I remember when we said we were getting sheep and orphans, we were told they have 2 lifelong ambitions....... to escape.........or die.

But like us, I hope you have used this as a learning curve, we got 7 the first time, lost 3, they taught us loads and I am forever grateful!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:29:09 pm »
So sad to hear your news  :( maybe she just had such a bad start there was nothing anyone could have done for her. It's always difficult with orphans - unless they get the colostrum & can be adopted by another ewe it's a difficult job to rear them & it sounded like the ones you got had a rough time of it before they came to you.

Hope all the others are ok  :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:07 am »
Thank you again guys. In the light of day I think you are right and this lamb missed it's colostrum. Fingers crossed my other 3 are mad! Just slightly worried about the one with absess on it's mouth but so far it's bright, and able to feed no prob - in fact it never stops eating!!

Made me laugh about lambs having ambition to either die or escape - true! One has tried climbing on top of it's shelter, another escaped yesterday morning to be caught by my daughter and dog in a joint rugby tackle style effort! (thankfully he is a lab and thought the whole episode a great game!)

24 hours in and I am learning so much! They are on hand in an area of my garden currently and I can't wait to let them loose on the land in a few weeks!

Thanks guys
Mx
twitter - @southscouse

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 07:27:12 am »
Sorry to hear it died. Were close to llosing ours so now how horrid it all it. But enjoy the others, and remember if you did not have them all of their chances would have been much smaller. Here's to sunshine :wave:

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:09:19 am »
Ah sorry to hear that Shearling. Makes you appreciate the healthy ones more. You sure do quickly learn not to take anything for granted.

Best of luck with the others

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS