Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi, hatching eggs with broody  (Read 10958 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: hi, hatching eggs with broody
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »
Thanks goosepimple. I've been giving them bread soaked in water. Will try the above and maybe a bit of porridge too.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »
hey, great more tips  :)

I have given her her own water supple & corn stash, i will give her some nibbles by teh next too. The other hen is starting to sit, so should I get her a batch of eggs to sit on too? I really do have plenty room, and the more the merrier! its so exciting  ;D

i will pick her up some sunflower seeds at my next visit to shop

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:44 pm »
There are quite a few types of sunflower seeds - for some reason with my hens it has to be the pure black coloured ones..(?)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »
Ive put the eBay eggs under the broodies tonight and they've settled well. I've thrown away the ones they were sitting on as no idea if they're due to hatch at the same time and if they're alive or dead. sad really as some were definately developing or had been but thought it best to start again in a controlled way.
Here's hoping for a good hatch.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:28 am »
Good luck, it's very exciting and you'll be counting the days - by the way another TAS user I met recently give all her livestock (geese/hens etc) raisins - its a good way to get them to come to you and easy to carry around and easy for them to eat - they all yummy them up (not the chicks of course - have to be careful what I say these days!)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 09:27:11 pm »
Good tip I've loads of raisins cheers  ;D

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 11:20:24 am »
well today is day 21! and one of the eggs has a pip this morning  ;D ;D  ;D The Broody hen is in charge and not happy at me having a peek, so I am going to leave her to it & hope we have something to show for it by tomorrow :chook:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
Sounds good  ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:51 pm »
Had to take the eggs off my broody she killed one of the chicks as it hatched. I put the other eggs in the incubator and 2 hatched so they've gone in with the other chicks. Broody has gone back in with flock and she seems happy enough and chicks are fine.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »
I now have one nice fluffy chick & 4 remaining egss.. are they likely to hatch now, the fluffy one hatched last night, none of other eggs are pipped?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:26 pm »
There are quite a few types of sunflower seeds - for some reason with my hens it has to be the pure black coloured ones..(?)
I got some wild bird food fro my hens the other day and have taken out some of teh black sunflower seeds
to try to grow them on.  Probably a waste of time but I like experiments. Strange really because I was rubbish at Science in school ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 02:49:13 pm »
I now have one nice fluffy chick & 4 remaining egss.. are they likely to hatch now, the fluffy one hatched last night, none of other eggs are pipped?

Always give 3-4 days after the first one has hatched to let the others hatch

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »
Good luck with the additional hatchlings - sometimes clumsy mums kill them by accident with their big daft feet (probably a cockerel anyway so saved you a job later).  Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS