Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs for sale  (Read 3266 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Lambs for sale
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:49:14 am »
putting here so you sheepy lot can pass on the info!

Due to a lot of ram lambs (9) I will have castrated lawn mowers/meat lambs for sale at weaning in July. They are all white Ouessants and have fine fleeces for spinners, don't jump like most primitives, are very friendly and taste lovely :yum: They are bookable and will be £35 each. They are ideal for raising for meat for those who only have small areas and 2 will require half an acre max.

Also will have a rare grey Ouessant ram lamb for sale entire (I have his full brother) and 2 white ram lambs suitable as breeding rams. These are £100 each at weaning.

Let me know asap as castrating this week

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:51:32 am by thewoollyshepherd »
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Lambs for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:23:38 pm »
I might be very interested in some from you. Noticed you've not been online for a couple of days but could you pm with your location? I know Epic was in Devon ... are you close by too? :)

hobbyfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:20 pm »
Hi, I am looking for a new ouessant ram, are any of yours registered?
regards.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:35:29 pm »
Hello Hobby Farmer

Mine are not registered with the British society as they are all French imports or decended from, and totally different bloodlines. The sire of all these lambs is Merinos des Lutins du Montana who was champion white Ouessant ram at the 2008 breed show in France. He was bred by possibly the best breeder of Ouessants in France.

I do also have 2 white British bred rams one of whom will be available for hire this coming autumn. They are from some registered ewes who somehow managed to lose their registration when bought by a college in the Midlands, therefore their progeny were not registered.

All my sheep are very good examples of the breed and are pure bred.....I am quite fussy about type, quality and size which is why I purchased in France.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:12:28 am by thewoollyshepherd »
www.valgrainger.co.uk

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 10:59:13 am »
Sadly the british ouessant sheep society chose to import all its original stock from Holland. the type is very different over there and the dutch breed society DO acknowledge they have cross bred their ouessants. ( if you don't believe me check out their literature. )
I recently conducted a study into the breed (30 pages)  to determine the "original" type  and to try to provide some pointers on how the breed should move forward. I am pleased to say as a result of an extraordianry meeting of the french ouessant breed society ther are some fundamental changes that will be announced. I would also add the french breed society won't be adding any cross bred dutch colour varients to their breed standard.
The UK society is trying desperately to hang on to its hold on the import registration sadly to the detriment of the breed. I invite anyone who wants to see and speak to real ouessant breeders to  come to brittany the 4th of september this year for the once a year national show. If you need a translator let me know
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:41 am »
I will be going.....so there will be a place in my car!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS