Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DEFRA rules on sheep  (Read 5731 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
DEFRA rules on sheep
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »
Hi I'm close to getting my first sheep and wonder if someone can give me guidance on what regulations I must comply with please

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: DEFRA rules on sheep
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:56:52 pm »
You'll need a CPH (County Parish Holding) number and a Flock number - both from Rural Payments Agency, I think.

A medicine book to record any medicines you give them. You can get this from your local agricultural store.

A book of movement licences - in Scotland they come from SAMU, contact your local Animal Health office for information.

There are regs on tagging and identification that I can't put my hand on.

I'm sure others will have more... (regretably)

Julie S

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: DEFRA rules on sheep
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:37 am »
If you have time to spare and plenty of patience then try trawling the DEFRA website www defra.gov.uk - follow links for animal health and welfare then look at the links for stuff like movements and ID.

Rosemary has given you the basics - tagging rules keep changing so best check on DEFRA for the latest advice.
As long as you have a CPH number, keep records of every sheep moved onto / off your holding, keep records of every medicine administered to them, and ensure that each sheep is properly tagged then you won't go far wrong.

How many sheep are you getting BTW? And what breed - I'm just being nosey here ;D
200 sheep, 4 pigs, 2 donkeys, 1 shetland pony, 12 cats and a bunch of gruesome chickens

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS