Author Topic: Hats  (Read 3465 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Hats
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »

How many of us accidental smallholders habitually wear a hat when going about our outdoors business?

I do; a rather nice Toggi leather hat that my lovely wife bought for me after my last one blew into the harbour and sank.

This is me wearing it:

So come on, fess-up! :)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
Re: Hats
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
still wearing my cosy ski hat! keeps my head cosy in the mornings and keeps my hair out my face when the wind is blowing a gale! sticking to my padded boiler suit too, only had the thin one on once this year!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »
I hate wearing hats - only dig out during the snow and icy winds, as I get earache if the wind is howling in my ears ;)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:22 pm »
Yep, still wearing my fingerless gloves & thermal, woolly hat - until the weather gets better & then I'll change to my "flower-pot" 2-tone blue one for the summer  ;D ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:23:01 am »
There is absolutely no chance of me posting a photo of myself in the hat I wear for about 9 months of the year - ie winter  ;D  I look like a mediaeval gargoyle in it, but it keeps my lugs warm  :)  The sheep don't complain  :D  Those fancy ones which perch on top of your head and have a brim like a sail would blow off in a moment up here  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:25:08 am »
I wear a hand-knitted balacava in winter and a car-boot bargain solar topee in summer (though neither of them in public, only in the privacy of my fields!! ;D)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:44:57 am »
i feel as if i can't breath with a hat on!!!

also i have a very small head, and only child size (and therefore style)  hats fit me.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:06:19 am »
I have lots of hats but I get too hot within about 20 minutes of wearing them. I love my deer stalker hat for dog walking on the beach. I often wear a baseball cap in the summer to mask my sweaty hat head from riding! :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:26:41 am »
In worst winter I wear a woolley one, for the rest of the year I just look like Worzel Gummidge on a bad hair day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:31:09 am »
I have three - a wooly one for winter, one a bit like ambriel's ( but not designer  ;D) for wet but not windy (stops the rain running down the back of your jacket) and a baseball cap for sunny and / or bad hair days. But often I don't bother.

I am going to a wedding in July so planning something a bit less worky  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:39:06 am »
Confession time. I am a hat maniac. Have got loads.
Wooly jobs for winter by the drawer full and one cord, sheepskin lined ear flapped job for exceptional bad weather!
In summer i have a wide variety of headscarves as on sniff of the sun on my head and i'm upsidedown with sunstroke!
I also have a wardrobe top unit full of occasion hats, wedding, races christenings etc!
One of my favourite pastimes is going round the big dpt stores and trying on all the hats much to whoever i'm with embarrassment, not that i can afford them most of the time.
I just love hats  :love:
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS