Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SAME PASTURE  (Read 2100 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
SAME PASTURE
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:40:03 pm »
im sure i may have asked this question on ere when we first moved on to our previous
holding, forgive me if any of you remember!
our goats only have access to one pasture, half acre or so, what i want to know is what
is the best way going about treating parasites when goats are only on one plot of grass.
thank you as allways for any replys ;)

THE PEAR TREE  :goat:
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: SAME PASTURE
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »
If goats are worm free and ground is goat-virgin so to speak, no problems, but only let on incoming stock once their worm counts are zero. I would still leave to rest over the winter (and only give goats a wee bit of space to stretch their legs, electric tape works well for that), other option is also to separate into several smaller plots and rotate every 4 to 6 weeks, depending on numbers/size.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:29 pm »
Hiya Langdon  :wave:

If you need to check on any of your previous posts - go into the "search" menu & put your name in the search bar.

HTH
Lynne
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:35:31 pm »
We only have the one field, and we worm count/treat for worms quite often. We always make sure we let the field "rest" for a minimum of 6 weeks in the winter, so have no stock in it all.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »
thanks beth, is that including chooks?
 :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:41 pm »
Our chooks don't go in the field, so can't answer that! But I would think if they were wormed regularly it should be ok.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS