Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats on Marshland???  (Read 11132 times)

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
Goats on Marshland???
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:14:32 am »
Hello!

Well, a bit of an update, we may have found our new home! Eek! Exciting! However.......

There is always a downside, and this comes in the form of half of the 32 acres flood in winter. The rest of the time it is marshland and then 'apparently' it dries out. I am skeptical about just how dry it gets.
I don't mind if it floods in winter, it's unlikely the goats will want to be outside grazing in the pouring rain anyway. But does anyone have any knowledge about goats grazing marshland?
It is not deep and it is not water logged, just spongy/springy and damp underfoot.
May two main concerns are
1) will it harm their feet?
2) will they be interested in the plants that grow on it?

Many thanks,

McRennet

princesspiggy

Re: Goats on Marshland???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:58:22 am »
if their feet were constantly wet, they might get sore between their toes, but treatable with engymycin spray/injection.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:41 pm »
Mud & goats do not go together.

I would try and speak to neighbouring property owners about how the ground dries/not dries out.  They are more likely to tell the truth accurately... property owner is going to say what you want to hear, he is selling after all.

There are some plants which may not suit goats.... never having had to deal with marshland, I am a bit hazy on this one.  They tend to avoid buttercups.
Marshland can be very lime deficient to the detriment of grass.

Whereabouts is this property located ?

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:21:21 pm »
There could be a fluke problem as well with wet land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »
Marshy land and goats = NO !

1) Fluke
2) damp feet - foot rot
3) not good for grazing

Sorry.

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
Property is near to Selkirk.

Not to worry, it still leaves us with 15 acres which, given that I currently own 2 goats, this will probably suffice! But we obviously want to grow the herd as we can't make much cheese from only 2 girls!

It just seems impossible to find a property big enough to start a family in with 30-50 acres that is anywhere near our budget  :(

Oh well, we shall keep looking....

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:41:40 pm »
they promote the use primitive sheep and cattle for conservationally grazing marshland etc and still doing well condition wise. maybe it would be fine, but if u were wanting a high milk yield it might not give u what u want.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »
McRennet  :wave:

It's such a pain finding somewhere 1/2 decent for an affordable sum - we know  ::) been there  :D

If you're expanding the goats you will need dry land - the dryer the better - as already said - footrot, fluke etc  :(

A number of things we've done in the past - speak to the locals ( the competing estate agents will be all too happy to give the low-down  ;) ) you can also go on the Environment Agency's website to check for things like flooding etc - we nearly bought a really pretty, old farm with 12 acres in a beautiful rural setting very cheaply - until we noticed white goods stored in one of the outbuildings with tide-marks on them about 3 foot up  ??? spoke to a local estate agent (not the one selling it) & it turned-out that the place had flooded every November & February for the past 5 years - since the water agency had done some work on flood defences further along the river flowing 400 yards down the end of the property  :o

Don't give up - the right place will find you  :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »
Near Selkirk? As in Scottish Borders? I am just down the road!!!! near St Boswells. Could do with a few more goatkeepers locally!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:21 pm »
Ken Briggs had a lovely picture of my Black Girl up to her brisket in the pond eating the reeds etc and on Page 128 of The BGS 1932 year book there's an article "Aquatic Goats" by MJDC who kept a gerd of goats on Marshland 7 miles from Norwich..lovely reading

...or you could keep Irish bog Ponies and help save a real rare breed ;)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:16 pm »
Property is near to Selkirk.

Not to worry, it still leaves us with 15 acres which, given that I currently own 2 goats, this will probably suffice! But we obviously want to grow the herd as we can't make much cheese from only 2 girls!

It just seems impossible to find a property big enough to start a family in with 30-50 acres that is anywhere near our budget  :(

Oh well, we shall keep looking....

If it's otherwise ticking all the boxes, why you don't think about planting willow - it'll dry-out the land, provide shelter to the holding, snacks for the goats, possibly start you off on a new craft & you could sell withys (income  ;)and   provide you with fuel to heat the house in these lovely cold winters we get up here  :D  15 acres is more than enough for your little herd.
Don't lose sight of your dream :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 11:32:50 pm »
Wet ground is a no-no for goats, they are too prone to foot rot. On the plus side, they do love marsh grass. We are on clay, and fortunatley our field is at the top of the rise, because lower down it is quite marshy. When we moved in there was a lot of marsh grass, but our field is the only field that doesn't have any now, as the goats have eaten it out.

Beth

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 08:21:20 am »
Oh my goodness, what would I do without this forum!?

Anke, yes indeed Selkirk in the borders! We are looking for a place in scotland as that's where we both originate from, harder than it sounds...
Nice to know there are like minded people nearby through!

I like the idea of willow....... and good to know that if it did dry out that they would like the march grass, it's full of it!

We were there last week and it really wasn't too bad, plus there is so much other grazing that I would never let them spend too long on there. But the flukes I have not considered. And this is a very good point. For that reason alone I wouldn't want them on there. What tests can you do though to check to see if your land is clear of flukes?

I'm waiting to hear from the estate agent whether there is the possibility of more land..... he didn't sound too hopeful!

I know I should be writing this place off as it needs too much doing to it and is already at the top of our budget. And yet I can't. There's just something about the place.
 :-[

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 08:53:38 am »
Be careful....it is so easy to let your heart rule your head.

Once you have got problems...fluke, footrot & other horrors.. you will always have them.  Not forgetting the Vet bills that will go with them, that is not being pessimistic, it is a fact.

You seriously should look at higher ground.

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:34 am »
can u not worm for fluke? if u cant afford the "perfect farm" (who can??) improving the land u have can increase the value of what u buy. plus u may find your direction changes to fit in with your land. our place has loads of trees, so we skipped the idea of sheep and moved to pigs which we thoroughly enjoy. 16 acres would support a fair few goats. and they wouldnt churn the mud like ponies would as the are lighter. goodluck in your decision.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS