Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing feathers from the back of the neck on my ducks????  (Read 6922 times)

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Missing feathers from the back of the neck on my ducks????
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:13:44 am »
does anyone know aboout this ?

feathers are missing but no mite or anything like that is it because of the males holding them down when mating how do you stop it?
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Missing feathers from the back of the neck on my ducks????
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:36:29 am »
Randy males....I had to get rid of 2 drakes, leaving just one for the 5 girls as they were taking it in turns - and now a week later the backs of the heads of the girls are still red and raw, I think it may take a while to recover!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:05 am »
what is your ratio of boys/girls? you might have to get more girls. You can't stop them, only reduce the frequency of mating this way. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:52 am »
Yup, ducks are sexy so need at least 3 or 4 girls, perhaps more depending on breed, to each drake.  Khaki Campbells are particularly randy and the recommended ration for them is 9 or 10 females per drake.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS