Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moved the pigs yesterday  (Read 1967 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Moved the pigs yesterday
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »
Spent all day fencing a corner of the field, and putting their lovely new house in place.  Satisfied the fencing was good enough, it was time for the big move .......Ginger one, who is much larger is a lot more confident and came out of the yard into the field and followed me shaking the pig nuts, and into the new pen.  Other girl refused to set foot in the field (yet had raced round when they got out the other day).  After much shaking of pig nuts, my hubby picked her up and carried her.  There was a walker going past ....must have thought we were murdering the pig the noise she made!!  

They both went round the pen like whirwinds, with their little tails going round like windmills.  Within minutes they had rooted up some soil, and had settled down for a snooze in the sun.  They did not seem keen on going in their new house, did wonder if it was the new wooden floor maybe..Put plenty of straw in, and even mixed in some from their old shelter, so it smelt like home, but when I left late last night, they were asleep outside. It was a very warm night, so I was not worried.  They could go in if they wanted to!!

Still out this morning when I went to work.  Came back at lunchtime and it was raining.  Two pigs were lay out in it, but they were in the corner, sheltered by the conifers above them.  Tonight, I put yet more bedding in the ark, and they went in, had a look, had a scratch on the door and came out again.  Then it went very windy this evening, and guess what?  Yep, I crept round in the dark, and they had gone in the ark!!!

They are near the lane, and a track with a footpath over it, so will have to get used to cars  and people, although the lane is single track.  Although their first day was busy - bad accident involving a motorbike and a car on the main road in the village.  Road blocked for three hours, so all the cars were coming via our lane, it was very busy!!  The the air ambulace came, and landed on the road, but the pilot was very good and kept a good height, until the last minute (only  a couple of fields between  our field and the road) above our fields, and none of the animals seemed scared.

I am sure the pigs will enjoy their new home once used to it.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:29:14 pm by Roxy »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Moved the pigs yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:21:16 pm »
Hiya Roxy  :wave:

Isn't it great to see them out - we finally got our older 5 across to their field a couple of weeks ago (apart from "Uncle Dudley" our castrate who is "minding" the younger ones down the woods at home) - yep, it was like a practice run for a porcine version of the the Grand National ;D  when they got out of the trailer  ;D ;D ;D

So much for Kunes not rooting - Harriet, Wilma & Jerry have made the odd couple of wallows, but Louise & Tommy have turned their paddock into something like the Battle of the Somme  :o how do 2 little piggies make such a mess  ???

We had the same problem with 2 of ours not using their hut for the first night, but they soon found it cosier than lying out in the rain (silly things)   ??? Sounds like yours have had an eventful day - their own live version of the Bill & Helicopter Heroes in one!  I'm sure they'll soon settle-in.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Liquidator

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Dornoch, Sutherland, Highlands
  • It's a Landrover thing, you wouldn't understand :)
    • Ospisdale Herd of Gloucestershire Old Spots
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:49:00 pm »
We spent most of the day on Sunday getting a corner of a nice grassy field ready for 8 weaners to go in to. Had the new electric fence set up, built the ark, got a water trough and a feeding trough in place then spent 30 mins running around in mud catching all 8 weaners. Moved them to the new field and guess what? 30 seconds in to the field and 2 of them were through the electric fence and away. They just took the pain and went for it. After getting 2 shocks myself, enough was enough!! We ended up having to catch them all and transfer them back to the muddy (secure) field they'd come from.

ROXY: I like the look of your corrugated fencing. I might try this method because the electric fence is just not enough of a deterrent. The older pigs don't go near it but the weaners just take the pain and barge on through.

Cracking looking piggies too.   :pig:

You gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky'?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »
lovely girls, look like they're enjoying themselves!
It'll soon look like a mud-bath... but great to see the grass & the sun shining through their hair.

did you decide on names, or are they still "Ginger" and "Pig" ?!
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:52:24 pm »
Liquidator  :wave:

Did you train your piggies to the electric fence before putting them in their new paddock?  I always train ours first by putting the electric fence up inside their paddock on the holding just along the fence-line.  They usually learn to respect it quite quickly  :o & we've not had any problems with them over the field - even from the boars when we've had a gilt in season  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:25:14 pm »
I cant see any electric strands.....I think you may enjoy chasing them up and down that lane when the grass has gone and they start rooting.. ;D ;D ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:59 am »
 :)  No, we do have electric fencing, but not put it up yet - we will see how they go (hopefully they will not "go" - but we will see.  The fence is lined with pig netting, and wooden rail all along the bottom, then there was post and rail on the other two sides, so we have just put tin sheets, and the big strong white boards we had lying round the place.  Did not want to tin it all the way, due to the fact that we are in this "area of special beauty", and also, I want my little piggies to have a view.  They like standing watching the hens and goats, and me coming along with their food of course.

No, Little Blue, not named yet ....still Ginger and pig.  But we are working on it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS