Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two horses on railway line  (Read 6183 times)

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
Re: Two horses on railway line
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:21:52 pm »
Oh Heck! WELL DONE, both of you. Glad you are okay, and horses too  :bouquet:
Lynn :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 11:50:58 pm »
We both knew of the danger of the railway, but like my hubby said, hopefully the drivers had been warned there were horses, and potentially people, on the track.  We were quick enough to report it to the police, rather than just dive on the railway.  You don't stop to think what if - you just want to help the horses, and it was such a relief it ended well.

I would like to think had it been my horses, someone would have done the same. Although some people today have said they could not have done it, for fear of the trains.

Railway people were there early this morning to look at the damaged fence......they do have a fence in the livery yards field, but probably it is old, and maybe weak.  I would say its the railway peoples responsibility to repair.  Livery yard owner is very particular, and had she known or seen the fence it would have been repaired I am sure.  I assume the two horses kept pushing till it weakened - both around 16hh so big, and heavy built.

I am just wondering what would have happened if we had not seen the horses - and whether the police would have given chase down the railway .....hmm .... maybe not.

A friends Shire youngster was out of her field one night, and got on the railway.  Sadly it got killed by a train, and that was on my mind last night.

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 02:22:09 am »
My experience of the railway companies is that they really do not want anything on the line that should not be there, whether that be human or animal and do their very best to keep fences etc. intact to prevent this. However, as you have found, scarily, things happen, sure the fence will be fixed quickly to prevent it happening again. Although i do realise that fences aren't always 100% stock-proof.

Police and transport do their best when they are notified. PLEASE anyone else who find themselves in this awful situation  =  this justifies a 999 call - animals on the line - don't hesitate. The police can call through to the railways to put a stop or a slow on the line very quickly, don't hesitate - better to be call in error than not at all.
Lynn :)

nel

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 09:37:12 am »
So glad it all worked out safely, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.  Well done.   :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 11:45:33 am »
For information:  I live next to a goods line and across the lane from me is a large field, zoned for housing, but because at the moment, and until they start building, it is still classified as agricultural by Network Rail, they don't see it as a priority to put in their metal security fencing.  It has a post and wire fence that any human being or dog could get through or over, and have done on occasion in the 3 years I have been here.  Network Rail take the view that by law there is a £1000 fine for trespass on the rail lines (yes, even in Scotland, where there is no trespass law!) and they would enforce that law.  I spoke to the Head of NR a couple of weeks ago when he visited here (Ron McAuley) so this is fact.  It is a Strategic Transport System and as such is protected by law.  Having said that, the Police will certainly assist in an emergency, but not always for dogs or cats.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 12:51:57 pm »
i have been holding of on this one until there has been a varied contribution by others  :horse:
there was an instance many years ago at polmont when cows strayed onto the railway resulting in the derailment of the train and deaths (the same stretch of line also resulted in the death of a railway worker)            the rail company's take safety VERY SERIOUSLY and trespass what ever the reason is frowned upon       this instance (handled by people used to horses) in all probability had the best result both for the horses and the railway         had they been left to the police and railway police to oversee the recovery it would not have had as swift a solution (they are not multi skilled in animal handling) having worked on various railway projects(with live lines and working trains ) the railways take safety as paramount and i have witnessed an attempted suicide with a goods train (unsuccessful)
it would not surprise me that some jobsworth employee of the railway will take offence that his contribution or procedures were not implemented
Lillian's other half :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS