Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb with scabby mouth  (Read 4549 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
lamb with scabby mouth
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:12:51 pm »
hi  there one our texel xs had a burst nose which seemed to heal now it has some scabs around its mouth can anyone help cheers

Re: lamb with scabby mouth
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
Hi,

Sounds like orf which is a viral infection.

If it is then dont touch - can be transmitted to people.

There are a couple of things to treat sheep - either Ovaloid capsules or Orph Paste.

Look up orf and compare your sheep to those you will see pics of.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »
canit be passed from lamb to lamb

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:11:58 pm »
canit be passed from lamb to lamb
If it can be passed to humans it can certainly be passed within it's own species!  Best see what it is.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:33:46 pm »
Best thing I found for orf was thuja occidentalis - availble on internet.  Comes as tincture and you put a couple of drops in the milk for bottle lambs or on the scabs.  Worked a treat for me when I got orf a couple of years ago

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:51:00 am »
Hi - yes it can quickly spread to the whole flock.

although it looks nasty, Orf is not fatal in its own right, but secondary infections can be picked up which can be fatal.

There are several homeopathic type remedies as mentioned above. and there is a thread on the forum praising sulphur for orf (as a lick with salt).

If it were me personally, and just one lamb for now - I would seperate her and her ewe and treat with orph paste.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:02:11 am »
yes it can be passed through the flock extremly quickly. you will need to watch them and treat any secondery infection. you will also need to check the mums udders as it can spread from the lamb there, if its only a mild case then just leave them alone. if you need to handle there faces then ware gloves. we had it last year our herd is a closed flock so its strange that they got it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS