Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paint  (Read 3766 times)

AndyMorton

• Joined Jan 2011
Paint
« on: April 02, 2011, 05:40:25 pm »
Quick Question....do many people paint their hives? If so....have you used a primer? Which brand of paint have you found the best?

Any pointers on which one to use would be much appreciated

:bee:

Andy

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:59 pm »
I've just done mine as they were quite cheap quality and the wood protector I'd put on hadn't really 'protected'. I read that you have to use water based acrylic paint - I did, and they look quite smart.

AndyMorton

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »
That's great - thank you very much!!

What colour did you go for?

Andy

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:19:59 pm »
Hiya  :wave:

Have just started keeping myself & was lucky that my OH bought me a lovely (expensive) cedar hive last year, so I don't need to treat it for ages  ;D

I used to help my dad with his bees & he used to paint his hives each a different colour - suppose it works ok with the WBCs, would look a bit odd with the Nationals after a while (unless you fussed about changing frames across & annoying the bees).

ANYWAY - what ever colour he painted them, he would always make sure he used light, pastel colours - he reckoned dark colours got too hot in the summer. 
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:47 pm »
mine are white! Very traditional.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:55:05 pm »
If you have WBC hives they can be painted as they are 'double walled', white is traditional.

I wouldn't, and don't like, to see hives such as Commercial or National painted, they just don't look right and being single walled they need to breathe. Ideally use an exterior water soluble satin varnish type product. Check the tin so you get something ecologically (and bee) friendly.

:bee:

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »
Cuprinol clear. the one without the insecticide........obviously. Here in France there's a silver coating we use that reflect some of the sun's heat. It gets bl**dy here in the summer.

There's a saying in the UK "bees in a wood, never do good"

here bees in a wood is sometimes the only way, so is common

LB

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:10:42 am »
Cuprinol have recently advised beekeepers not to use it on hives any longer. Something to do with EU making them change the ingredients.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS