Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castrating lambs  (Read 14250 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Castrating lambs
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:00:09 am »
We've just castrated our <week old lambs and they didn't seem too fussed by it although the older one seems uncomfortable.

Does that mean we've done it wrong?

I thought they were meant to go into a squealing fit and lie down for twenty minutes.

Husband was also quite surprised as in his experience they do bleat and lie down (he has castrated lambs before)

I am concerned that their testicles haven't descended yet and we have just banded their empty scrotums. Hubby said he felt them but on closer questioning what he described didn't really convince me that he had felt testicles - just scrotal contents.

What to do if they turn out to be rigs or rams with testicles but no scrotum!!!

:-((

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:52:58 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Castrating lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:41:11 am »
Yeah - just checked and took the bands off two of them because I just wasn't at all happy that they were right.

One of them had the band above a nipple anyway so I think we'll just have to leave it now and deal with things later.

:-(

This is NOT my finest hour

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:29 am »
Don't think you are alone Suziequeue.  We tried to band our twin tup lambs yesterday but couldn't keep the testicles in the sac so put off for another couple of days.  You do need to be careful about catching the nipples, and check that the two little lumps are on the right side of the band before you let go, then check both are still in afterwards.  The scissors on a Swiss Army knife are perfect for getting the band off again quickly if you have to.  Some breeds are just so tiny in that department that sticking to the one week time limit can be difficult  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
Our lambs have never squealed when I've castrated them, they wriggle a bit but that's all.  Last year I had a problem with one, just couldnt get wold of both testicles.  We ended up calling a vet and even she had problems.  She said it was the most difficult one she'd ever had to do - which made me feel a whole lot better!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:32:15 pm »
It's good to know I am not alone in this and certainly - reading other castration threads - it seems that testicles not descending within a week are not an uncommon issue.

We've left the lambs for now but I think this year we will just separate the boys from the girls when the time comes ..... we have probably just got enough space with a bit of planning and nifty sheep netting and could always put them in with our neighbour's rams (we had theirs last year).

I'm going to ask around and see if it's a breed problem aswell.

In looking on You Tube for videos the only one I could find was a man in America who bites them off with his teeth .... great!!

What a world we live in :-) But I did finally see the one that was posted here a while back

Thanks for taking the time to respond

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »
that was how the old sheepherds did the castration  illegal now that is tearing not cutting :wave:  :sheep: :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:53 pm »
We don't castrate and haven't had a problem. The ram lambs go in with our tup and wether when they are weaned in July and then off to slaughter in October / November when the tup goes to the ewes. They grow well and there's no "ram taint" to the lamb.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:41 pm »
If you wan to see a video on ringing see http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-farms-videos/castrating-lambs.aspx
Having said that I failed to do our first male this year & he still has only 1 testicle at 2 weeks +.  I think I will get him cut if they come down as our lambs go late to slaughter & separating him from both the ewes with tups in different groups & the lambs could be difficult at the end of the year.
Rose

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »
Yes - thanks Robate55 - I finally managed to see that video on hobbyfarms after the event as it doesn't play on Mac and we are a Mac household.

Feeling very bad about the whole business but I can see I'm not alone which is reassuring.

Will definitely ask neighbours about putting ours with theirs once they are weaned.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:09:39 pm »
Last year was our first year & I had a complete squealy over the first until I found the video. This year when I couldn't do the first I thought I had lost it until I decided it only had one. And I'm sure I was taught how at college, but it was a long time ago.

Rose

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:10:45 pm »
The video was very interesting, with the lambs legs held high like that.  Does anyone else do that?  The gadget she is using is different to the one we have and looks much better, as there is no opportunity for the testicles to zap back in the microsecond you are letting the band off.  I wonder if you can get a similar applicator over here?  Mind you, the demo lamb has nice big, easily identified testicles - unlike Hebs and Soays  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:50 am »
Yes - and it looked alot older than 7 days. I expect the law is different in the USA. I will look into the gadget Fleecewife

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 09:36:48 am »
I had someone else's lambs sheared with mine and every single male had no sack but balls up inside.  When asked the chap said it wasn't intentional just pure incompetence!  He hadn't even realised!

Sometimes they only have one ball.  I have one like it this year and I had one last year, but you have to expect some anomalies.  I will try and do a video  and stick it on youtube if you want.    Got a few ram lambs to do and once you get the right process it is a lot easier.  You can also practise on the corner of a cushion as alot of people can get the band on but getting the applicator off seems to be the struggle - cushions generally don't mind it being done again and again and again!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51:42 am »
Ok I confess I use the string method :-[ :-[ ouessant testicles are sooooo small and often haven't come down. i first tie the testicles in situ using a fine twine around the base of them so i know where they are!  and then I know when that band goes on the balls are in the right place. its a bit fiddly but less than with the hit and miss approach to elastic band only.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:12 am »
Yeah - just checked and took the bands off two of them because I just wasn't at all happy that they were right.

One of them had the band above a nipple anyway so I think we'll just have to leave it now and deal with things later.

This is NOT my finest hour

Bear in mind it's illegal to use the bands after 7 days old tho...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS