Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twin lambs arrived today - first time - but milk question....  (Read 2613 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
thrilled that one of our ewes gave birth (without any intervention whatsoever - phew!) to 2 tups. Her milk is there and the boys are feeding but the flow is intermittant - not quite the gush we have seen on lambing live when expressing milk.  We have massaged the teats etc to try and stimulate the flow and thought we were there but I guess we are not sure. The lambs seem to be happy but how can we be sure? Is this something that improves with time or should we be expecting huge quantities from the off? ??? 

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: Twin lambs arrived today - first time - but milk question....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:51:32 pm »
Hiya, limited experience here - but here goes!

Sheep like any other mammals  vary in the size of the udder, the flow of milk and how much milk! the more that the lamb suckles the greater the stimulus to produce milk. I think - as long as there is milk coming out (ie the teats are not blocked by the plug) the lambs will manage to control the amount for what they need. As long as they are going for it dont worry too much! if you can hear them sucking and the teat is wet when they have finished they should be getting milk, you may also see milk around the lambs mouth.

Also do remember that teats are designed to be sucked by lambs and not hands, the ewe will know the difference, or feel the difference, and this will affect the let down !! If you watch ewes when the lambs are sucking they maywell be chewing the cud...they are relaxed and happy. they probably wont be that chilled when you are hand milking :D :D.. so the lambs will probably get more out than you can!

hope this helps a bit. i know it is worrying...i was fretting cos one of my ewes had udders the size of a cows. it hung only just off the ground, and to start with the lambs couldnt find the teats- they were looking far too high up. i did have to help them a bit at first.
Emma t
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:56:35 pm »
Thanks pikiliy - that is really reassuring. Think we are on the right track then.  :wave:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »
Oh, a few bits I forgot to write !! .....do keep an eye on the lambs though, wont you!

If the lambs are not thriving,..... sleep, eat, play eat sleep etc etc. .....if they seem floppy, cold, lathargic etc then they may not be getting enough.  One way to reassure yourself is to pick the lambs up and feel their bellies just in front of the hind legs...you will tell if they are well fed, their tummies will feel full and fairly round. If you cant catch them, and they are fleeing away from you...it stands to reason that they must be getting a reasonable feed from Mum!!! the ones that just lie there, dont react, and dont try to get away are the ones to worry about (unless they are really just sleeping heavily after a big feed)

Emma T

If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS