Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treating lamb with Hypothermia  (Read 6953 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Treating lamb with Hypothermia
« on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:25 am »
One of my ewe lambs has hypothermia.  She's 4 days old and was let out with her mum and twin for the first time yesterday.  I left the shed wide open for the ewes and lambs to go in if they wanted to last night - and of course, sheep being sheep, they totally ignored it and spent the night in the paddock it was a much colder night than I'd anticipated.  I should have left them in and I'm mad at myself for not doing so.  I picked this little ewe lamb up a six o'clock this morning.  Very weak an a bit wheezy.  I brought her straight indoors and into a basket by the woodburner.  She has since got up and moved about a bit - settled herself somewhere else but will not feed.  I understand this is not unusual for hypothermic lambs.  I have given her a dose of Sceptam just in case.  Her breathing is better now but her mouth and feet are still cold even though she's warm in her body.  My question is, how long shall I leave it before I try and feed her again?  Will she need to warm up completely before she'll take the bottle?  If not, shall I try to tube feed her?  Never dealt with this before so any advice would be very much appreciated.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: Treating lamb with Hypothermia
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »
Thanks Worzel,  I've managed to get her to have some warm milk - not much, but then she is tiny.  She's picking up a bit, walking around although still looking down.  I've put her back with her mum in the small paddock next to the house.  I'm working in and out of there at the moment, so keeping a very close eye on her.  I've not seen her feed from her mum yet, so I'll make sure I try her with the bottle in an hour or so.  She's also still a bit wheezy but nowhere near as bad as she was. Cheers.  :wave:

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »
You could try giving her some kick Start http://www.farmrite.co.uk/product/105904/Col-Late-Lamb-Kick-Start-25-Lamb-Size-100ml  We had a lamb last year with hypothermia and this really seemed to help.  He was up and about in no time and went on to be a lovely large lamb.  We did put a jumper on him before we let him back outside.  It's made from the sleeve of a jumper.  We only left it on him for 1/2 a day.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
The question is why a 4 day old lamb should succumb on a dry but cold night . you keep saying wheezy maybe fluid in lungs maybe slight pneumonia ?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:54:28 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone - love the woolly jacket!!

Lamb no longer wheezing - I think it was actually a blocked nose.  Still not brilliant though.  I have found out why she was so weak.  She was having trouble latching on to her mother's teat, so whilst she was getting some milk it was nowhere near enough.  She was the smallest of twins and remained very small whilst her brother got quite a bit bigger.  The ewe has tonnes of milk so as I am now topping her up with a bottle I may milk her and feed her that as it will be better for her.

Cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:36 am »
Well done for spotting the problem., and putting it on here.  Others will watch out for this now.  Glad she's better and hope she keeps on picking up.  You're right that mother's milk is usually best.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:00 am »
Hi,

Pleased it seems to be getting sorted.

There are a couple of items to help with the cold - cheap and chearful "Lamb Macs" to help keep the worst of the elements off them at night - especially if they for whatever reason sleep away from the warmth of the ewe.

Secondly, a lamb warmer - to quickly warm hypothermic lambs - not really worth the expense unless you are lambing a lot (pays for itself after saving about 3 lambs - less if its an expensive rare breed)

Ideally a hypothermic lamb should be warm BEFORE trying to get any food / glucose etc into it.

I would post a link - but Dan will shout at me again!  ;)
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:59 am »

Ideally a hypothermic lamb should be warm BEFORE trying to get any food / glucose etc into it.

That depends on how old the lamb is.

If the lamb is less that 12 hours old, you warm first and then feed. At this age the lamb still has some brown fat reserves which it can metabolise as it warms and you can then feed it.

Older than 12 hours and you must feed before you warm. Otherwise as the lamb begins to warm it will have nothing to metabolise, and will possibly die from low blodd sugar fits. If it can hold it's head up you can tube it, if it is too far gone to hold the head up it needs an intreperitoneal injection of glucose solution.

Getting feeding and warming the wrong way round is one of the commonest causes of loss of hypothermic lambs.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:11 am »
Thank you VSS that is an extremely helpful tip :sheep: :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:21 am »
Whoops sorry - read 4 days as 4 hours - must pay more attention!

This is a good read ref hypothermia in lambs - I know its canadian, but still applies:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/sheep/facts/98-089.htm

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:53:13 am »
Glad its turned for the better -- -

I hope my misses doesnt see the picture on this thread or I'll have no arms left on my jumpers next year - aww how cute is that and what a great idea!!

Baz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS