Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daffodils in vases  (Read 2819 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Daffodils in vases
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this - I don't usually come down this end of the forum - so apologies in advance if it's wrong.

My lovely, yellow daffodils are blowing over at a rate of notts (to match the wind) & are snapping off at the base.  In an attempt to enjoy them for a little longer, I am bringing them in & putting them in a vase of tap water.  But they are not lasting long  :(

Any ideas please?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Daffodils in vases
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »
seal the cut ends with hot water before placing in vase.
try rain water rather than tap water.
buy that powder that comes with cut flowers - I'm Wilco sells it... just can't recall the proper name!
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Thanks,

I haven't been cutting the ends - that would be a start  :-[

Hot water, rain water & powder (if I can get any) - cheers  :)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:27:49 pm »
Now I have been told to cut the ends of all flowers cause that cuts the air ' bubble plug' away to leave a fresh living stem and to put Roses and bulbs in Lemonade for the gases.A copper two pence piece in the water works they say as well.This must make a chemical reaction to create the gases as well. Perhaps your daff stems have been creased or the daffs have lived their cycle anyway. Shop bought are just buds and have probably have been treated in some way so dont compare to them.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »
Thanks, will try the fizzy stuff - the daffs might get some too  ;)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »
 if you cut the stems whilst in the water, that sorts out the bubble block, works for taking cuttins too. and 2 teaspoons of sugar per pint of water and a drop of bleach to kill bacteria. ;)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »
I don't do the bleach, but I believe most of the packets you get with the cut flowers from shops are actually just a glucose mix (sugar does it ;D). Also it depends if they are just daffs or if you have put other bits in with them, and how warm they are kept when in the vase. It would be interesting to know if different types last longer.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:32 am »
My windblown daffs came in and lasted a week indoors just in tap water, but I only put in a couple of inches in the jug, not full right up..

They've had it now but the bright yellow was really cheering to see - got loads of spring bulbs here in sequence from Feb on out of every window so I'm well happy with the views now :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »
We've only got a view out the front (south facing) of the house, no windows on either pine end, from the back of the house we can only see the yard.

We moved here just over a year ago & were so lucky to inherit what had once been a lovely garden of about quarter of an acre - it's been neglected for a number of years by a succession of tenants, but we're starting to get on top of it now & it's so exciting seeing plants & flowers emerging this year - I've planted some bulbs, shrubs & perenials, but there were quite a lots of lots of existing bulbs & shrubs which are now thriving & beginning to give a lovely show - I've had something in bloom now since 14th January  ;D 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS