Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding ewes  (Read 2590 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Feeding ewes
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »
Sorry a bit of a daft Q...

Now that the grass is growing do I still need to feed expectant ewes ?

At the moment they are all getting a very small handful in the mornings - just so I can could get them in and give the 2 (I know are in lamb - due end of April-May), extra without the rest scoffing it all.  They - the 2 in lamb are having a small handful of ewe nuts(pencils), coarse mix and sugar beet about 6oz in all. 1 ewe had twins with her when we aquired her (so a possibility of her having twins again) the other is a first timer.

A small hay net over night for all to pick at (in their shed when it was that awful rain) I find it helps to keep them from getting dirty bums due to the new/wet grass.

Should I continue or is it over feeding.

They don't have a high energy lick anymore as they where eating it in less that a fortnight.

Should they be getting any sort of vitamins now.

You are never to old to learn something new

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Re: Feeding ewes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:02 pm »
Thanks Worzel,

They are all in good condition - keep prodding them as they go passed ;D ;D - though the 2 Suffolks are probable slightly on the 'fat side'... very pushy and greedy.  my problem is not really knowing if the other 3 are in lamb  - problems with 'borrowed ram' though these 2 are in lamb to him - the others returned - new ram lamb brought in - covered twice by him - meaning late lambing end of May-June - July...............!  if any....!
I still have half dustbins full of feed so will continue with the 'small feeds' and give the 2 inlamb girls just that bit more.
Just needed reasurance  :-[ :-[

First time keeping sheep and lambing.  Horses were much easier - knew where I was with them.
You are never to old to learn something new

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Feeding ewes
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:24:26 pm »
6oz works out about 175gms tiny amount so no worrys and all feed including hay contain vitamins so again no worrys

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS