Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: urgent panic help!!!  (Read 10317 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
urgent panic help!!!
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »
First ever lamb coming out or not! can see nose and toubue redish blue but no feet is this ok. not sure how long she has been pushing but not dilated for a head

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: urgent panic help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:48:52 pm »
Using lots of luricant pop a couple of fingers in to check for feet as they might be tucked by head.  If no feet them with even more lubricant and clean hands push the head back into the womb and  when it is far far in feel for the feet.  Pull one foot up and into position first then the other and making sure the head remains in the right position pull on the feet to get them into the vagina.

Make sure the head is following and then pull gently but firmly downwards.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »
relief

First lamb! safe and sound, so far. Mum not very good at cleaning lamb up, poosibly newbie too or just worn out!

Thank you so much for being there for us, them

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »
! can see nose and toubue redish blue but no feet is this ok.

I can't help feeling that if you have ewes to lamb that this is something you should really know the answer to. There are lots of sources of information you could use.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:35 pm »
Well done, I've been sitting here with bated breath!  :) I couldn't have done it! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
! can see nose and toubue redish blue but no feet is this ok.

I can't help feeling that if you have ewes to lamb that this is something you should really know the answer to. There are lots of sources of information you could use.

Sometimes life takes many of us by surprise, has it never done that to you?  Many people breed dogs without knowing the things that could go wrong - and I feel the same as you about them, but in these circumstances everything has been fine, so let's not be negative after the event, shall we?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05:18 pm »
There is always something new to learn and I am so grateful for the information and advice on this site.  Glad everything worked out okay shearling - well done!

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »
I can't help feeling that if you have ewes to lamb that this is something you should really know the answer to. There are lots of sources of information you could use

Yes but.. read the book, saw the film, got the T-shirt, read all the advice (some conflicting). However, first time. I went to birthing classes when I was pregnant, but they can only tell you so much, need to be there. FYI I read every book and website. I got the lambing kit, had a vet to check my kit and ewes, and what I might (or might not) need to do and how. Practiced in my sleep on not doing anything and doing everything. Trained the family. Sat and watched sheep - too busy working out what to do or not to sleep or count them! Now worried about a poor mum. Did not really need this. Thanks though to everyone else for understanding what it is like for a newbie, only trying to do the best. My main worry was going in too soon, and not letting nature take its course, as all the books, including the one you suggset say.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 01:34:13 am »
Very glad you had a happy outcome. 

It can be daunting asking a question if you think you ought to know the answer so well done for being brave and sensible and asking for reassurance.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:24:54 am »
It takes time to be confident about what and when to do things.  I still dither occassionally and I now have hundreds of the blighters!  Other times you will do everything perfectly and still there will be problems.

Have you chatted up friendly local shepgherd?  They are absolutely invaluable for your first few times and a wealth of knowledge and normally cheap as a bottle of brandy or gin! 

You could consider a lambing course for extra confidence next year but a good outcome all the same.

We don't all know everything and it is better to ask and have help than to sit back and watch it all go horribly wrong!  Welcome to the world of shepherding!  :-)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:29 am »
Once our ewes started to lamb all the reading and courses went straight out of my head. I was just really worried that something wouldn't be right.

Fortunately we are surrounded by experienced sheep neighbours who all said they would be happy to help.

In the event, all the ewes have lambed fine except for one who is still waddling around, eating her head off, sticking two hoofs up at us and NOT getting on with it!!! (although she does look a little preoccupied this morning)

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:06 am »
I can't help feeling that if you have ewes to lamb that this is something you should really know the answer to. There are lots of sources of information you could use

Yes but.. read the book, saw the film, got the T-shirt, read all the advice (some conflicting). However, first time. I went to birthing classes when I was pregnant, but they can only tell you so much, need to be there. FYI I read every book and website. I got the lambing kit, had a vet to check my kit and ewes, and what I might (or might not) need to do and how. Practiced in my sleep on not doing anything and doing everything. Trained the family. Sat and watched sheep - too busy working out what to do or not to sleep or count them! Now worried about a poor mum. Did not really need this. Thanks though to everyone else for understanding what it is like for a newbie, only trying to do the best. My main worry was going in too soon, and not letting nature take its course, as all the books, including the one you suggset say.

That good then - I am glad that you did some background work on what to expect. You would be amazed at the number of people who don't. Glad that the ewe lambed OK.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:54 pm »
Shearling - the most important thing is to never to be afraid to ask. We had our first lambs today - I swear seeing a birth first hand raised more questions than we ever thought possible despite all the prep. It's great that this forum has many members that offer great advice. Quite a learning curve eh? Fishy.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:03 pm »
glad it all ended up well....my experience is that you think you have found the answer to a question only to then find that five more spring forth. Also, we we have all read the books....watched lambing live.....dreamed and practiced in our sleep, but it doesn't compare to four O'Clock in the  morning in the half dark, without your specs, with a ewe who obviously hasn't read the same books as you....LOL... it all looks so different then doesn't it???  Even my local shepherding guru, who has seventy years experience, gets caught out, makes some errors of judgment, and has numerous surprises every year....we are in good company!

Anyone who thinks they never have wobbles of confidence, or doubts about what to do next, or, on reflection, had made mistakes, is in glorious delusional denial  ;D ;D ;D

'thats all i have got to say about that' - to quote a great philosopher
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »
I have to say some of our sheep take longer than 20 mins after the bag has broken, the first twin out yesterday took one of our sheep about 45 mins and the lamb was up and tottering within 2 mins so obviously not stressed. I'm lambing a shearling for the first time this year, do they not take a while.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS