Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig wormer  (Read 4776 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Pig wormer
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »
You can tell I'm new can't you :-[ 8)

With keeping horses, they are wormed/vaccinated regularly and are NOT for human consumption as marked in their passports.

What's the situation with pigs for human consumption, do we need to worm before they go to slaughter?

thanks again

Heather

HappyHippy

Re: Pig wormer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
Hiya, there are loads of threads on this and other common questions in the pig section, have a look back some of the old posts ;)

Basically though, if they're wormed by the person who's bred them and you're raising them top slaughter you'll not need to re-worm them.
Wormers generally have a withdrawal period of around 4 weeks before the meat can enter the food chain - but every one is different.
HTH
Karen x

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »
Thanks again Karen.  I did look at some of the older topics, but couldn't see the answer I wanted, and you've just given it to me, thanks again.

Heather

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:01 pm »
One thing though, not every breeder is totally honest.  If you are at all unsure best to worm before slaughter. 

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:55:16 pm »
I'm sure the breeder will be honest with me, it turns out she was an old friend and we kept our horses together for a while, then she moved house so we've not seen eachother for years.  She's very busy though with her animals and she fosters children, so I don't want to be asking her everything.  I shall ask about the worming though when I catch her at a not so busy time, might pay her a visit and see 'mummy' pig :D

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 10:26:12 pm »
Hiya, there are loads of threads on this and other common questions in the pig section, have a look back some of the old posts ;)

Basically though, if they're wormed by the person who's bred them and you're raising them top slaughter you'll not need to re-worm them.
Wormers generally have a withdrawal period of around 4 weeks before the meat can enter the food chain - but every one is different.
HTH
Karen x

Hi,

I would say that you "shouldnt" rather than "Not Need to" re-worm them - assuming the breeder was honest, gave the correct dosage, used a good wormer, and the pigs havent picked up worms since they were originally wormed,

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »
Thanks SFS  ;)

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:11:10 am »
I use a homeopathic wormer for all my livestock. I get it from Ainsworths. So simple just mix & spray on their nose, in water for hens.

Though if there were any problem that this didn't work for I would use a conventional wormer.

Animals always come first  :)

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:11 am »
Hi Violet - Sounds interesting, but have you had a worm count done to determine if it actually works?

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:31:07 pm »
I use a homeopathic wormer for all my livestock. I get it from Ainsworths. So simple just mix & spray on their nose, in water for hens.

Though if there were any problem that this didn't work for I would use a conventional wormer.

Animals always come first  :)

My wife and I have used Homeopathic methods of worming both of us but it has to be done over a long period of days in water, just before meal times. Here is how it went: The first week take 10 drops 3 times a day. The second week take 20 drops 3 times a day. Third week take 30 drops every other day. How the dickens was I ever going to complete that. Not on your nelly. Needless to say it never got completed.
It would be interesting to see if spraying it on there noses works. Only one way to know and that by sending in a dung sample. Free check here surely S&S.
Ivermectin is good and covers Mange, Lice and worms but has a 28 day withdrawal, Panacur has only 10, but there is a product called Wormtec that has 0 withdrawal days. I have never used it and am not sure whether it is available or legal in the UK, but it would be an ideal option if after getting samples checked, if that is what is needed to be done.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:33:00 pm by Stevie G »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS